Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming Mail Handler: ERROR SerivceRunner atlassian.mail.incoming.mailfetcherservice

Bob February 4, 2013

Receiving the following message in the logs. In fact we receive so many that the logs will fill up, filling up the filesystem then halting the system if we don't stay on top of things.

2013-02-05 08:09:56,445 QuartzWorker-0 ERROR ServiceRunner    EmailAccount [atlassian.mail.incoming.mailfetcherservice] EmailAccount[10400]: Exception: null
javax.mail.FolderClosedException
    at com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPMessage.getProtocol(IMAPMessage.java:145)
    at com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPMessage.getHeader(IMAPMessage.java:743)
    at com.atlassian.jira.service.services.mail.MailFetcherService$MessageProviderImpl.getAndProcessMail(MailFetcherService.java:250)
    at com.atlassian.jira.service.services.mail.MailFetcherService.runImpl(MailFetcherService.java:349)
    at com.atlassian.jira.service.services.file.AbstractMessageHandlingService.run(AbstractMessageHandlingService.java:250)
    at com.atlassian.jira.service.JiraServiceContainerImpl.run(JiraServiceContainerImpl.java:61)
    at com.atlassian.jira.service.ServiceRunner.execute(ServiceRunner.java:47)
    at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:195)
    at com.atlassian.multitenant.quartz.MultiTenantThreadPool$MultiTenantRunnable.run(MultiTenantThreadPool.java:72)
    at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:520)

Removed and recreated the Incoming Mail Handler, reset the password for the email account. Tested within Jira with success. Still receiving the errors during the email parsing in the logs. Ran updates to plugins without errors.

Any assitance is greatly appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bob February 4, 2013

Removed a field that wasn't really needed as required. Once this field was removed from the create screen, the mail fetcher started operating as expected.

ConradR
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2013

Just curious: Which field?

Bob February 4, 2013

On the "add" screen for this project, i made a field manditory (attachment). Although the error didn't state which field was the culprit, I was able to identify through process of elimination.

0 votes
richie_gee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2013

Hi there,

I have seen issues on this resolved by increasing the timeout period, can you try check if this resolved your problem.

Alternatively, you can check if your bulk forward email is set to deliver to the same folder that your mail handler process, this might be the one causing this. Set the bulk forward to another account or different folder see if this fixes your problem.

Hope this helps, cheers!

Bob February 4, 2013

Thanks for you reply Richie.

After further digging I found a hint to go on, "Exception: null". This led me to investigate the "required" fields on the create screen for this project. Once I removed the field that wasn't really needed as required, messages started flowing properly.

richie_gee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2013

Hi Bob,

Glad to hear that you managed to resolve it locally and sharing out with the community :)

Thank you and have a great day ahead :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events