Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

User attributes from Azure Ad don't sync

Hello,

we connected Azure AD sync for provisioning with those two how-to:

https://support.atlassian.com/provisioning-users/docs/understand-user-provisioning/
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/saas-apps/atlassian-cloud-provisioning-tutorial

the user provisioning article states that we can sync the following attributes:

• Display name
  • Email address
  • Organization
  • Job title
  • Time zone
  • Department
  • Preferred language

so far, we can only see display name & mail address after the sync. Do we need to do something else? Under details of the User, its stats “update at Identity Provider” but in Azure attributes like Job title are set.

One addition to this question, is it possible to sync the telephone number too? Thanks

2 answers

1 vote

Hi Ben,

You will have to set these attributes with user provisioning. At step 9 "Review the user attributes" with article https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/saas-apps/atlassian-cloud-provisioning-tutorial you can add additional supported attributes like Job title, Department, etc.

Information from Azure to Atlassian is synced based on user mapping configured for users.

At the moment, the Telephone number is not the supported attribute with the user provisioning

Regards,
Jayant

Hi Jayant,

Is there a list somewhere of all of the available user attributes within Atlassian? 

Tom

Hi Jayant, I agree with Tom. A list of all available user attributes would be very helpful.

Hi @Jayant Suneja  Could you please provide us with a list of supported user attributes?

Thanks,
KGM

Hi,

The supported attributes with User provisioning are listed in the documentation:
https://support.atlassian.com/provisioning-users/docs/understand-user-provisioning/

You can update these user attributes from your identity provider:

• Display name
  • Email address
  • Organization
  • Job title
  • Timezone
  • Department
  • Preferred language

This is the same list mentioned in the initial posted question. Please confirm if we are looking for some additional information here? 

Like # people like this

@Jayant Suneja  I'm having the same problem - the data is not sync-ing for my site.

In addition to that, where can I access this information in jira/jsm? Can I only see these details in the users profile? Can I access the details to populate fields in a ticket?

Like # people like this

@Jayant Suneja can you please answer @Linda Milne_Togetha Group_  questions about:

Where can I access this information in jira/jsm?

Can I access the details to populate fields in a ticket?

Thanks,
KGM

Thanks @Kristján Geir Mathiesen . We did manage to get the data to sync in the end - we are not sure why it didn't in the first place. However, we would still like to be able to access the sync-ed information from within jira or jsm. Is this possible @Jayant Suneja ???

Hi @Jayant Suneja We followed the same steps, and made sure the provisioning setup for the users includes/mapped to Organization and also department.

I have noticed that: users come over only with the email address attribute, nothing else! also one single group is copied to Jira, the second group never made it there! Any idea? We also use Dynamic groups in Azure to include specific users for provisioning

Hi @Linda Milne_Togetha Group_ have you done anything specific so you can get the user attributes finally showing in JIRA?

We aren't assigning those users a license, they are only allowed to use the Service Desk portal, is maybe the reason! I couldn't find any resources to troubleshoot this behaviour

@Ibrahim.Awwad  raised a support request with Atlassian. And the answer is no, at this time you cannot access the data. But there is a new feature request that you can vote for.

Not sure how to advise on your other issue, I don't have a lot of experience with this. Can you raise a support request? Id be interested in the outcome too.

Like Ibrahim.Awwad likes this
0 votes
Eduardo Oliveira Marketplace Partner Mar 02, 2022

Hi @Ben - Not sure if you already solved this issue, but if you're open to using an app, I would like to share another potential solution that may help in this scenario - MindPro Sync.

This app allows you to integrate OKTA, Azure AD, or OneLogin with Jira and JSM and retrieve user attributes (phone, location, department, etc..), map them in Jira custom fields and display this data directly Jira issues or JSM requests (and portal)

All the best,
Eduardo - from MindPro, a Marketplace Partner.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Atlassian Access

Atlassian Access Demo Q&A Recap

Hi Community! Thank you to all who joined our ongoing monthly Atlassian Access demo! We have an engaging group of attendees who asked many great questions. I’ll share a recap of frequently ask...

1,123 views 3 4
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you