Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to update the user because the provided email is already taken

oferz February 7, 2021

Hi,

I've just changed all our managed accounts' email addresses, from our old domain to the new one.
*The domains are verified

All users went through the change smoothly, but just one user won't be changed.

I'm getting an error saying that "Unable to update the user because the provided email is already taken".

I've exported a full list from the managed accounts but couldn't find the object that is using this email.

Any idea how can I resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance,

Ofer.

1 answer

1 vote
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 8, 2021

Hello @oferz,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

When changing users’ email addresses and this message appears, it means that the email is already associated with an active Atlassian account.

Can you please confirm if the user can access id.atlassian.com with the affected email address (the one with the new domain)?

In this case, for you to be able to change the email, the Atlassian account ID must be deleted. Note that, if the user is using this account on another site, they will not be able to access it anymore, so it’s important to check if there is no history associated with this account.

With this said, if the account is not being used and can be safely deleted, you can ask the user to follow the steps below:

1 - Create a test email that you will use only once, for example, test.temp@domain.com. This email must not have an Atlassian account, that's why it's important if it's a brand new email, you can create a Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo.
2 - Go to id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/email. Remember that you need to log in using the NEW account, the one that you need to free to be used.
3 - After logging in with the desired account, change the email to test.temp@domain.com.
4 - Go to test.temp@domain.com inbox and confirm the change.
5 - The email you need is now free to be used since is not linked to an Atlassian account.
6 - Now, go to id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/email logged with the old email and change it to the new email.
7 - Go to the email to confirm the change.

After that, it will be possible to change the email address because the Atlassian account won’t exist anymore and once you change the email on the organization, a new account will be created. 

If the user goes to id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/email and it shows that the account is managed, then it’s necessary to follow the steps mentioned on the documentation below:

You can find more details about this issue on this documentation: Unable to change user email with error saying it is already taken, but the other account is not visible in the organization

Kind regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events