cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Locate users by first or last name in user management

Julian Governale
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2022

Ive noticed in the past weeks that when reviewing a users account, i can no longer look up users by their first name or last name and occasional email address returns an account but of the time it does not.  This is especially true if the user has a username next to their account name.

Is any one else experiencing the same thing?  We do use Atlassian Access but is in the site user management section not in Atlassian Access Directory.   

This is causing extra time for us to locate user accounts and leading to a really bad experience as we have to look up account in various ways before confirming if they actually have an account or not.

Here is the example:

I want to locate the account for a user named Aleena.  I would expect searching for Aleena would return any account with that name:

2022-02-07_13-19-11.jpg

But when i search for the first name, no results are found.  When i search for the full name i get the same results

2022-02-07_13-20-59.jpg

2022-02-07_13-21-55.jpg

For results to be returned i have to use the username next to account name now which is normally the first letter of the first name and last name but not always the case depending on the users email address it seems like.  Some accounts will be Firstname.Lastname and for outside vendors, sometimes i dont have the email just the first or last name so i have to try a combo occasionally to find the account. 

2022-02-07_13-23-55.jpg

When i use the email address, it is hit or miss on returning the account.  

Any help or understanding if something has changed would be appreciated so i tell our team the best way to look up accounts. 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2022

Hello @Julian Governale,

Thank you for reaching out to the Atlassian Community!

When searching for users in the User management, the results and also sorting will be based on their Public name and not their Full name, that’s why Aleena’s information returns only when you search by the Public name (the one in round brackets).

You can ask them to update their Public name on their Atlassian account profile to let the same as the Full name.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Julian Governale
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2022

Ah ok, that explains it!  Thanks @Angélica Luz  for the update.  Might need to set some standard when onboarding users to do this piece but now i know why this happens.

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Jonathan_nor October 25, 2022

@Angélica Luz 
I face a similar issue, but I am using Atlassian Access and have managed accounts.

For example, from Atlassian Access Directory (where only managed accounts are listed), I can look for my user typing only "John Smith" or any part of his name. I can also search him using his email: 4567@acme.com Note that his email is actually a set of number in reality.

But in the Jira user management environment, when I type "John Smith", or any part of his name, nothing shows up. I need to type part of his email "4567" to find my user. Which then shows up as "John Smith (4567@acme.com)".

Consequences for us:

1. User name must first be searched for in the Atlassian Access Directory, to copy its  email.
  2. Email must then be pasted in the Jira user management environment
  3. User groups can finally be edited for that specific user

Why is the search behavior so different in Jira user management and Atlassian Access Directory? That looks more like a bug then anything else to me.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events