Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two instances of confluence, one for internal, one for external.

Kukk November 16, 2023

Hello all,

Reading through Atlassian training material. I saw s suggestion of having two instances of confluence. This would limit the risk of accidentally publishing internal documents etc to external space.

We will use Confluence for internal knowledge base for different departments.

And then a for JSM help desk. 

Maybe some users have feedback if this approach would be overkill and just a External space with restrictions is fine.

3 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2023

For me this would be unnecessary but that is just my situation. It comes down to how many admins you have and if they are adequately trained. Control who can create KB spaces and content in the spaces. Be sure to have a process to control KB pages. Secondarily, consider the true sensitivity of your material.

3 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2023

You don't need two separate Confluence Cloud sites (this is what I refer to as an instance).

You could create two separate  Confluence Cloud Spaces:

• One as external Knowledge Base for portal customers (how-to articles, troubleshooting guides)
  • One as internal Knowledge Base for agents (procedures, troubleshooting guides, documentation)

You can link one or more spaces from your Confluence cloud or server site to a service project.

1 vote
Jamie Esker _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 22, 2023

I see you already have great options here, but I wanted to make you aware of Comala Publishing, which enables space-to-space publishing. You can have an internal draft space and an external facing space, updated only when your content is ready for public consumption. This can also be used for your internal knowledge base.

If you need to have multiple eyes on a document before releasing it into the wild, this is a great option. The intended audience only sees the finalized versions (and no copy & paste required). 

I am the PMM for this app, so if you have any questions, I'd love to help! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events