Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seamless sign-in from AzureAD using SAML SSO

John M_ June 17, 2021

Hi,

I just set up Atlassian Cloud SSO using this tutorial on my trial account. It seems to be set up correctly however the sign-in isn't seamless.

When signed in to MS365 and starting a IDP initiated flow to login to Atlassian, I'm still presented with the https://id.atlassian.com/ sign-in page. There I need to fill in my email address and only after that sign-in happens.

Is this expected behaviour? I would have thought my email address would be detected automatically as it is sent in the claim.

-John

2 answers

0 votes
Jayant Suneja
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 17, 2021

Hi John,

Thank for confirming that. I think I misread your query at first.

For IDP initiated login user will be redirected to id.atlassian.com but should not be presented with the option to fill in the email address again. Rather on redirection, it should automatically log in the user and redirect the user to the Atlassian site user has access to.

So, the behavior you notice is not the expected one. Check if your Atlassian site URL is correctly updated as Relay state URL with SSO configuration on Azure and try to log in using an incognito window. 

Regards,
Jayant

John M_ June 18, 2021

Thanks Jayant, 

I did have the Relay state URL https://[ourname].atlassian.net configured in the Basic SAML Configuration of the AzureAD Ent Application.

But it was also added next to Sign On URL as explained in Step 16 (under configure-azure-ad-sso) to support SP initiated SSO flow.

I just removed the Sign On URL value and my sign-in went straight through!

The SP initiated flow still works as well, so step 16 may not be needed?

Kieran Caplice August 18, 2021

@John M_  I believe you need a trailing slash ("/") at the end. This worked for me.

0 votes
Jayant Suneja
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 17, 2021

Hi John,

Please confirm if SAML SSO is enabled at your Atlassian organization under Security --> Authentication policies, and your account is added under SSO enabled authentication policy.

Regards,
Jayant

John M_ June 17, 2021

Thanks Jayant for that info.

SAML SSO is enabled and I forgot to mention that I did create an additional authentication policy in which SSO is enforced and I added my test user as a member of that Auth policy.

Are you saying that I shouldn't get the additional prompt for email address?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events