Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing Site and Organization admins

Admin acme-deepcred August 2, 2022

Hi, I'm trying give users site/organization admin role but it looks that these are the same.

under "directory" I have a group called "site-admins" but it seems to promote users to organization admins when I'm adding  them to it.

Under 'Settings' I don't have any "Administrators" button on the left side.

Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 13.32.56.png

(also, if you know how to manage these using APIs)

Help would be much appreciated, thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2022

Hi @Admin acme-deepcred If I understand it correctly, an organization admin is automatically granted site admin permissions as they're the highest level of administrator. You can make a user a site admin, but not org admin, by adding them to the site-admins group. Here's the related Atlassian documentation.

Admin acme-deepcred August 15, 2022

It seems that if I add a user to side-admin group it has a tag next to it that says he's also an org admin. Do you know why is that?

Like claire lu likes this
Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2022

I'm not 100% certain, but it sounds like your Atlassian org might be using the new "improved user management" experience. My org is still on the old user management UI, and when I added a test user to the site-admins group, he was only provided site admin permissions without organization admin permissions.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events