Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to block users from a domain from creating new sites?

Scott Windus October 18, 2020

Hi

I am trying to get a better level of governance on new Atlassian product creation for my company.

I am wanting to know if there is a way to stop individual users who have our email domain from creating their own new sites/spaces etc? We would prefer even free sights to be coordinated centrally. They are not strictly free when they will automatically be added to the Atlassian Access subscription, because of the email account domain association. 

Cheers

Scott

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Scott Windus November 3, 2020

Atlassian has confirm that even with an Atlasssian Access Subscription, there is no way to moderate new user account creation or product subscription. The use case is currently being explored. My fingers are crossed it is something that can be delivered as a priority.

1 vote
Yiting Jin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 19, 2020

Hi there Scott,

Our product team would love to hear more details about your use case, as this is an area we are actively developing.  Would you like to talk more over the phone or Zoom in the next week or so?  If so, please feel free to email me (yjin@atlassian.com) your time zone and some days/times you are available.  

Thanks, and I hope we can chat in more detail soon!

Yiting Jin

Senior Product Manager, Atlassian Enterprise Cloud

John Zimmerman June 7, 2023

@Yiting Jin - what information can we provide to you so that the feature requested can actually be implemented.

If an enterprise has an official instance of jira/confluence it should be pretty obvious use case that there needs to be a way to prevent other jira/confluence instances from being created using accounts attached to domains with domain control verified.  Otherwise we have users with the ability to create instances with enterprise accounts outside of data governance controls.  Doing so with enterprise accounts gives some users a feeling that this is ok.  It is not.  If we are paying Atlassian for a service targeted at enterprises this is an expected part of the service.

0 votes
Gavin Teichman August 10, 2023

how is this not an option?  this is needed immediately. 

0 votes
John Zimmerman June 7, 2023

We are also needing this feature and we are pretty disappointed that there wasn't foresight to already have implemented it.

0 votes
Emmanuel Wang July 27, 2022

hope get the feature too, from atlassian product governance review, we hope to prevent users from creating new subscriptions by corp emails,  we want to block the subscription creating in Atlassian Access or in Organization Admin console.

0 votes
Chris Darais November 17, 2021

Has there been any update to this?

0 votes
Sanjeev Kumar October 19, 2020

1. Sign in to your Google Admin Console 
  2. From the Admin console Home page, go to Appsand thenG Suiteand thenSites.
  3. At the top right of the gray box, click Edit Service.

4. To turn on or off service for everyone in your organization, click On for everyone or Off for everyone, and then click Save.

5. To turn on or off service only for users in an organizational unit:

1. On the left, select the organizational unit.
    2. Select On or Off.
    3. To keep the service turned on or off even when the service is turned on or off for the parent organizational unit, click Override.
    4. If the organization's status is already Overridden, choose an option:
      • Inherit—Reverts to the same setting as its parent.
      • Save—Saves your new setting (even if the parent setting changes). 
    5. To turn on or off service only for users in an organizational unit:

1. On the left, select the organizational unit.
      2. Select On or Off.
      3. To keep the service turned on or off even when the service is turned on or off for the parent organizational unit, click Override.
      4. If the organization's status is already Overridden, choose an option:
        • Inherit—Reverts to the same setting as its parent.
        • Save—Saves your new setting (even if the parent setting changes).

Learn more about Organizational structure.

6. To turn on a service for a set of users across or within organizational units, select an access group. For details, go to turn on a service for a group.
Scott Windus October 19, 2020

Thanks Sanjeev however that only works with GSuite and we are using M365

Patrick K- May 15, 2023

HI - this response appears to be blocking Google Workspace users from creating Google Sites within that environment - not stopping new Atlassian site instances as per the original question.

I am also interested in this from a governance perspective as we would like to stop new sites from popping up randomly and unmanaged.  I hear it's ont he roadmap - is there any timeline on that?

Thx

Cristian Peralta July 31, 2023

Could someone provide an update or a link to an open issue we can vote on? 

Like Matt likes this
Matt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2023

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events