Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IdP control of the nickname property of a user profile

michael September 15, 2021

Users exist in both the "Users" tab and "Managed Accounts" tab of admin.atlassian.com.

In the "Users" tab if I select a user I can see their "Nickname" field and when I hover over it, there is a tooltip saying "This is a managed account. You can update their details to make this profile more consistent and easier to identify.". When I click on "Update Details" it takes me to the "Managed Account" details page for the user, and there is no place on that page to change their nickname.

Alternatively if I click on the user from the "Managed Account" tab, it takes me to the same "Managed Account" details page.

All of the fields on the page except for "Based In" are marked as "Synced from identity provider." and the nickname is not visible on the page.

Similarly in the User Provisioning documentation there is no reference to a nickname field.

Is there a way to edit the nickname field and sync it from Okta via user provisioning?

Is there another way to edit it as an admin?

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2021

Hi Michael,

I think you will have to change the name in Okta for it to sync up and change in Atlassian. 

michael September 17, 2021

John,

The emails match in Okta and Atlassian. Can you clarify what you mean by "change the name in Okta"? What field are you referring to as the name here? I haven't seen any issues with first and last name on these accounts, only the nickname field. All of the accounts are showing as managed by the SCIM connection with mostly uneditable attributes, but the nickname seems to be a unique issue.

I probably need to reset our org and try to re-provision the users somehow at this point because I have provisioned them both from Okta and from the cloud migration tool, and finally a couple of them are inherited from verifying our domain.

Any guidance around all of this is appreciated, thanks!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2021

I guess I am confused about the Nickname field. Where do you see that? 

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 09.41.43.png

This nickname field that's highlighted does not appear when clicking update details.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2021

That's weird, this is my view:

screenshot1.png

What URL is that? I'm looking at https://admin.atlassian.com/o/<ORGID>/users. I don't see anywhere that looks like your screenshot unfortunately - I wonder what's going on. We just setup the trial org last week with access, jira, and confluence products and have verified the domain and hooked user provisioning up to Okta.

If I go to https://admin.atlassian.com/o/<ORGID>/members then I see a similar screen to yours, which is the managed accounts sidebar item in my screenshot above.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2021

Hmm, when I go to your same URL, I get this:

screenshot1.png

Obviously something is wrong. But it's still a different view than yours.  :-(

It's probably worth noting that even for me, my name I'm posting under here in the forum (michael) is the value of my nickname field. If I edit my profile on id.atlassian.com it appears as the "Public name" field and is an editable field in my profile along with job title, department, organization... but my full name and email are managed by the IdP and uneditable.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2021

And we are connected to Okta using Atlassian Access. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2021

Ah, that helps - I can see the Public name field for my profile, but I don't have access to that for other users in my org. 

Maybe it's just a field that cannot be controlled via IdP but yeah I'd like to get official confirmation on that!

Thanks for your help @John Funk

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events