How truly "safe" is it to upload confidential information to trello?

Anthony Limb March 18, 2022

I have a desire to use Trello to organize and save passwords along with other sensitive login information that would be horrible if someone were to gain access to. How secure is a free Trello account and is it possible for others to hack into your account even if your board is set to private. 

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

>How secure is a free Trello account

It is secured at the same level as the highest level of account that organisations pay a lot for.   While enterprise-level accounts have some more options around access and permissions, all Trello users have the same security.

>is it possible for others to hack into your account even if your board is set to private

There are a lot of ways to hack an account and a lot of ways to gain access to private stuff.  All we can really tell you here is that Trello is hack-resistant, like most other web services.

You might want a look through https://www.atlassian.com/trust to get the reassurance you need for most security issues.

>I have a desire to use Trello to organize and save passwords along with other sensitive login information

Oh heck no.  No.  No.  Just... No.

Trello is not a password safe or sensitive data repository.  Don't get me wrong, it is secure, and if you're very very very conscientious about it, you could use it for passwords and sensitive information, but there is software out there that does password/sensitivity a lot better and more securely.  One of the points about Trello is that it makes sharing easy.  That's the last thing you want from a secure data store.

Anthony Limb March 19, 2022

I sincerely appreciate your reponse, do you have any suggestions for secure software online to store such private information? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2022

I would take a look at the options for online "password safes".

I've picked up "lastpass" for my own use but it is a bit weak in some ways because it does store my credentials online (encrypted of course), and doesn't have any sharing functions.  

My company uses Keepass a lot, and Keybase is a good place for keys (if you want to do the right thing and move away from passwords)

Like # people like this
0 votes
Michael October 27, 2023

I agree very sensitive details should be kept on password based applications. Depending on how you use the program there are more ways to tighten your security seen in some powerups like Hidynotes. Where they secure the information even further by allowing only certain members to see certain info. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events