How to change Jira owner email and Organization name

Jeff Clarke November 23, 2019

I have a need to change the organization and admin/owner email to that organization's domain to match. It was set up with a temporary email while setting up the company. Now that the company is online I need to get it set up with the correct domain and company email. 

1 answer

1 vote
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 25, 2019

Hello Jeff,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

To change the org admin and the org name it's necessary to be an org admin, and I see that you are one, so you can change the settings. 

In order, to do that, please go to admin.atlassian.com and click on the desired organization.

On the next page, to change the organization name, click on Settings > Details where you will see the option to change the org name and save.

To add a new org admin, the user must also be a site-admin on the site, so after confirming that, go to Settings > Administrators and add this new user.

If you have any other question regarding this matter, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

Charles Gage November 23, 2022

Hello, Angélica,

I have the same issue.  My company merged with another.  I would like to change the organization's name but am concerned what might be the downstream impact of doing so.  I located where I can change the name.

Will just changing the name impact existing or future URL links or break any connections?  Or, is this just a "convenience name" that appears atop headers and such?  We can live with the existing name embedded in links and such.

Thanks!

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 24, 2022

Hi @Charles Gage

Thank you for reaching out to Community!

There are no issues in changing the name of the Organization and it won't affect any access or integrations.

It's exactly as you said, it's a "convenience name" that will appear on the top of the page and also a name that you can easily identify when you access admin.atlassian.com and is, for example, an administrator of multiple Orgs.

What counts for integrations and permission access is the Org ID that appears on the URL and it can't be changed, so changing the name of the Org, won't affect anything.

Regards,
Angélica

Like Charles Gage likes this
Charles Gage November 24, 2022

Thanks, Angélica!

It always pays to ask.  The LAST thing I want to do is muck up integrations, URL links, and all that stuff.  But, I have done some Jira invitations to add external users to specific projects.  I noticed the old company name was still present in the verbiage of those invitations.  That's not what we want to have shown, of course.

Thanks, again!

Chuck Gage

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events