Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I remove an organization admin?

Kristian Kauper July 27, 2019

The user who created our organization originally, who has now left the company, is an organization and site admin. When I try to "Revoke site accesss", I get the error "Unable to revoke site access". If I go into the details of the user and try to remove the "Site administrator role", I get the error "Error changing role".

How can I revoke all access for this user?

15 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

4 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 29, 2019

Hi Kristian,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!
When a site-admin is also an Org admin, you can't revoke access directly, firstly you need to remove this user from the Org and then you can revoke the access.
Please, go to the Organization on admin.atlassian.com > Settings > Administrators and remove the user.
Then, go back to the instance on Administration and remove the user, just make sure that the group site-admin was removed before revoking the access.

If you have any other question, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

Andrew Mantle January 21, 2020

Super, help, thanks

Adrian Vega November 25, 2020

I did the first step but cant remove them anything i'm missing?

Mark Little November 25, 2020

Yes I agree with Adrian.

Just to confirm, I can see the org admin page, we have three org admins. When I click on Remove, I get a confirmation box "Remove *** as an administrator?". I click on the remove button but the person does not get removed.

Like Marco likes this
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 26, 2020

Hello @Adrian Vega and @Mark Little,

Thank you for the details.

Can you open the developer tools on your browser to check in the console tab if it shows any error when you click to remove the org admin?

Does it show a message like the one below informing that the admin was removed?

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 09.59.49.png

Regards,
Angélica

Mark Little November 27, 2020

Hello, I have to admit that I gave it another try the next day (yesterday) and it worked instantly. I know that doesn't help one bit in debugging the problem I had.

For information though, I tried multiple times on separate occasions including Ctrl-F5 etc. I know that Jira sometimes has "lag" in certain things happening with things happening behind the scenes so I was aware to go back half hour later to check and give it another go.

It was as if a bug was fixed that night and it worked again by the morning.

8 votes
Matthew Erwin August 16, 2019

There is a very subtle aspect to getting to the Organization Administrator's settings. You need to click on the organization name a second time to go from "Site Administration" to "Organization Administration" or click on the "Back to Organization" link just below it.

Martin_Kirk February 24, 2020

whaaaaaaat....  I've been looking for this for 4 weeks now !!!

Like # people like this
Natalie_Gorking May 5, 2020

@Matthew Erwin Your comment helped me a lot. Thank you so much. 

Sabina Shamilov July 2, 2020

Finally found, actually @Matthew Erwin this is the most helpful comment in this thread!

morinf July 6, 2020

Still haven't found how to do it... Clicking twice does nothing, there is no link anywhere. This is beyond frustrating.

Dario B
Atlassian Team
July 7, 2020

@morinf ,

Can you provide more details on what you don't find, where you click (a screenshot would be best) and what you are trying to achieve?

morinf July 10, 2020

I am not org admin, so (from what I gather from other answers) I need to contact support and have a ticket created.

What happened is that the billing and technical contacts have been switched to a different institution (the system is used in a multi-partner project and I am the technical contact), so the org admin role should also be switched to that new institution.

Like Dario B likes this
Dario B
Atlassian Team
July 10, 2020

Hi @morinf ,

That's correct. I can see you are the site-admin, so please open a support request by using the below link and work with the assigned engineer to get the org admin updated:

Have a nice weekend!

Duncan Lam October 1, 2020

For the life of me, I cannot find the Organization name to click on on the admin page. Is it at the upper left hand corner? Nothing is clickable... Help!

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
October 2, 2020

Hello @Duncan Lam,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

I can see that you are a Site Administrator, but not an Org admin, that's why you can't find the option to access the Organization.

Please, go to Cog icon > User management where you can find who is the Org admin, then ask them to add you as an Administrator of the Org.

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 13.32.00.png

Regards,
Angélica

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
February 26, 2021

Hello everyone,

It has been a while since this question was posted and we receive many requests for help with Organization administration here, so for new people that may use this post as a reference to find a solution or ask for help, I will add here what you need to do in different situations when it comes Org admin. 

1 - I’m an Org admin and I want to add a new teammate as Org admin as well.

As an Org Admin, you can add a new Org admin by going to:

a) admin.atlassian.com where you can see the list of all organizations that you are an admin. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 18.08.33.png

Click on the desired organization > Settings > Administrators.

On this page, you can add and remove the admins.

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 18.09.51.png

b) From Jira or Confluence, click on the Cog icon > User management. You will land on the User’s page, then on the top, you will see the same menu “Settings” as mentioned on the steps above.

2 - The Org admin left the company and no one else has permission to remove and add a new admin. 

a) The first thing you can do is to talk to your IT team to see if they can activate the email account again and reset the Atlassian account password, so you can log in as the previous admin and follow the steps mentioned on number 1.

b) If the account can’t be recovered:

• If you are a site-admin of a Standard or Premium site, go to https://support.atlassian.com/contact/ in order to create a ticket with our support team. A ticket is necessary in this case because we need your consent to access your site to give you the permissions.
  • If you are a user without admin permissions, then you must contact your site admin for them to create a ticket.
  • If you are a user without admin permission and the only site and org admin left the company, please create a new question here in the community so we can create a ticket on your behalf.
  • If you are a site admin or user of a Free Cloud site, create a new question for us to create the ticket on your behalf as well.

3 - If I access admin.atlassian.com I don’t see any organization / I don’t see the Settings when I access the User management.

If you don’t see any option to access the settings, but you can access the User management, it means that you are a site administrator only, so you either need to request access to the Org admin or if they left your company, just follow the steps I mentioned.

Hope this answer helps you to find the solution you need.

Stay safe!

Kind regards,
Angélica

0 votes
Hansal Shah February 14, 2021

Hi guys, We are running Jira for client and the ORG & Site admin was 1 of my past developer. The person has left job 1 year back and as site admin rights I was managing adding and deleting users. Now, we want to remove the ORG admin and change myself as ORG admin. I have tried to login through that ORG account and tried to send password recovery link. Its not emailing the recovery link so I can add myself ORG admin and remove the previous employee from the system so I can save cost on that user.

Dario B
Atlassian Team
February 16, 2021

Hello @Hansal Shah ,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I can see that you are actually ORG admin for the organization techxxxxxs, so I believe you have already received the password recovery link and solved the issue by yourself.

If this is not the case and support is still needed, since you are site admin in 2 different Cloud sites I would advise to open a support request using below link:

Cheers,
Dario

0 votes
robert.mrowinski February 3, 2021

Dear Angelica,

I have the same type of issue. I have wrong e-mail address and this user is with ORG & SITE admin... Just "typo" in domain :( Others in my organization have SITE ADMIN. Please help me.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
February 3, 2021

Hello @robert.mrowinski,

I was able to check that the only Org admin has an incorrect email and that you already created a ticket with our Customer advocates reporting that.

Since you are using Jira Service Management Standard, you can ask them to transfer your ticket to our support team, so they can access the organization and add the correct user as the Org admin.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Like robert.mrowinski likes this
robert.mrowinski February 4, 2021

Ok, thank you. I have already sent message.

0 votes
weesin June 25, 2020

Dear Angelica,

I have the same type of issue, trying to remove an org-admin email but couldn't do that with the instruction provided by the Atlassian support team. I have mentioned to the support person that, based on the info I read here, the only org-admin acc can only be removed by Atlassian. However the person doesn't seem to be aware it, told me she will try to get help. It has been few days and I am still waiting for the solution.

Appreciate if you can provide assistance on this matter. Thanks a lot...

weesin June 25, 2020

I have managed to find a way to remove the org-admin. So my issue solved.

Like Dario B likes this
Dario B
Atlassian Team
July 7, 2020

Hi @weesin ,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Angelica is out of office but I am happy to see you already got this solved already.

Also, for the future, please notice that you have way higher chances to get your question answered if you open a new thread rather than if you add a reply to an old one, already marked as resolved.

Cheers,
Dario

Like Angélica Luz likes this
0 votes
Alix Moggia May 26, 2020

Dear Angelica,

I have the same types of issues. I need to remove the site and org admin. It was myself, with an old Google Account. As we killed the Google Account @magellan-rmt.com, I can not login  anymore. I have one user account useless. I have remove the domain name from our Google Access but it still doesn' t work. Apparently I can not create a ticket, while I'm on a paid plan.

Tons of thanks for your help.

Alix

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
May 28, 2020

Hello @Alix Moggia,

I was able to find the details you mentioned about your old account, but since it's necessary to confirm private information and you are on a Free plan and can't create a ticket, I went ahead and created a ticket on your behalf.

You will receive a notification and soon someone will contact you to fix this issue.

Regards,
Angélica

Alix Moggia May 28, 2020

Tons of thanks Angelica for your help. Waiting for them to contact me.

Regards

Alix

0 votes
Ole Ohlen April 21, 2020

Hello,

we have exactly the same problem. Our old Org-Admin is no longer in the team and is to be removed from the overall appearance. Can you help us with that?

I am already Site-Admin and I can't get the user removed. Thanks a lot!

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
April 22, 2020

Hello Ole,

Welcome to Community!

I can see that you are a site administrator and also Org admin, so I'm not sure if this case was already resolved.

If not, the best option is to contact our support through support.atlassian.com/contact because, with a ticket, they can ask for your permission and access the Org in order to add you as an administrator.

Regards,
Angélica

Ole Ohlen April 22, 2020

I am Admin. I don't see that I'm org admin here. I also can't manage to remove the current org-admin. (See screenshot)Anmerkung 2020-04-22 165328.jpg

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
April 23, 2020

@Ole Ohlen, the best option is to create a ticket with support for them to access your site and remove the current org admin and add you as the new org admin.

Please, go to https://support.atlassian.com/contact to create the ticket.

0 votes

Hi, we have the same issues that our Org-Admin left and I would change the Org-Admin to my account.
I tried it via support.atlassian.com but they told my to ask for the change here.

Thanks in advanced
Marc Gemmerich

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
March 3, 2020

Hi @Hessischer Badminton Verband e.V.,

Welcome to Community!

I see that you are the site admin of a Cloud Free site, that's why you were redirected to community.

For this specific case, it's necessary a ticket for our support team to add you as the Org admin, so I created one on your behalf.

You will receive a notification and soon someone will contact you.

Regards,
Angélica

0 votes
Jaime Jauregui February 17, 2020

Good morning,

We have the same issue here. We have only one Org-Admin and we need to change him.

How can we create a ticket?

Regards,

Jaime,

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
February 18, 2020

Hello Jaime,

In order to create a ticket with our support to fix this issue, the site administrator must go to support.atlassian.com and create the ticket with all the details. By default, the support team adds the main billing contact as the Org administrator and then, they can add other site admins as Org admins.

Regards,
Angélica

0 votes
gerald January 11, 2020

Hi @Angélica Luz , we have the same issue 1 Org Admin (who left).

We would need both current Site Admin upgraded to Org Admin.

Thanks.

Gerald

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
January 13, 2020

Hi @gerald,

Welcome to Community!

As there was only one Org admin, it's necessary to create a ticket with our support for them to access the organization and add site-admins as org admins.

Please, go to support.atlassian.com and create a ticket with more details about the issue. With a ticket, we will be able to check all necessary information about the org and add the site-admins.

Regards,
Angélica

0 votes
Ervi Bongso October 4, 2019

Hi Angelica,

Could you help us as well please?

Our org admin left and we can't revoke her access. Could you switch our CEO, james@emproveit.com, to be the org admin?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Ervi Bongso

Ervi Bongso October 6, 2019

We no longer need the help, Angelica. It's taken care of. Please ignore the message. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Ervi Bongso

0 votes
H_Lecter September 10, 2019

Hi Angelica,

Please help. I am a site admin myself and we have ONLY ONE org admin who will need to be replaced by one of our existing admins. 

Thanks,

H

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
September 12, 2019

Hi there,

I saw that you created a ticket with our customer advocates about this issue. As I mentioned on previous replies on this thread, only us from Atlassian can add or remove org admins if the org admin is no longer in the company, and for that, it's necessary a ticket.
I saw that they already added a reply on the ticket, please let me know if you didn't receive the notification and I'll let them know.

Regards,
Angélica

Saleha Jaweid August 25, 2020

Hello Angelica,

our organization is experiencing the same issue as the users mentioned above. Will you please remove me as the Organization Admin and transfer this to my colleague, our CEO, Annee Ngo?

Thanks,

Saleha

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
August 26, 2020

Hello @Saleha Jaweid,

Thank you for reaching out to Community!

I saw that you created a ticket with our customer advocates and they told you the steps to add another org administrator.

I understand that you still have access, so you can go to admin.atlassian.com, select the organization, and on Settings, you will see the option to view and add administrators.

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 15.11.12.png

You won't be able to remove your account, but then Annee will be able to do it.

Regards,
Angélica

0 votes
Eglantina Xhemalallari September 6, 2019

Hi Angelica I have the same situation. Can I also please get the help I need?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
September 9, 2019

Hi @Eglantina Xhemalallari

Just to confirm, there is only one org admin and they are not in the company anymore, is that correct?
Only an org admin can add and remove another one, so if there is no other one, only us from Atlassian can do this and it's necessary a ticket with our support. I can create one on your behalf, but you can create one if you don't want to wait and also you can add more details on the ticket. You can create the ticket on support.atlassian.com.

Regards,
Angélica

Deleted user May 13, 2020

Hi Angélica,

Our org admin has left the company, and he is the only org admin in the jira board.

Could you help me removing his access.

thank you.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
May 14, 2020

Hello @[deleted],

Thank you for reaching out to Community!

I see that you already created a ticket with our support and they just need the approval from the billing and technical contact of your site to proceed with the changes.

Regards,
Angélica

0 votes
James Wall September 2, 2019

Hi, I am a standard Site Admin and our Org & Site Admin recently passed. I need to remove the old Org & Site Admin and establish myself as the new Org & Site Admin - how can this be achieved? None of the methods noted above or in other threads have worked. Thanks in advance.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
September 4, 2019

Hi James,

If there was only one org admin, in this case, only us from Atlassian have access to remove and add a new org admin.
To confirm your access on the instance and also for us to be able to remove him/her, I'll create a ticket with our support, so we can access your instance and the organization.
You will receive a notification and soon someone will contact you.

Regards,
Angélica 

James Wall September 4, 2019

Thanks Angelica, yes that is right, we only had a single Org Admin, and myself and another inactive user as Site Admins.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events