How do I grant user "Organization Admin" rights?

Kim Tercero September 5, 2019

We are using Next-Gen and cannot locate where to assign Org Admin to a user that is already a Site Admin. 

5 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

27 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 6, 2019

Hi Kim,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

Currently, only an Org admin can add another one. The Org admin must follow the steps below:

1. Log in to your organization at admin.atlassian.com.

2. Choose Settings > Administrators.

3. Click Add administrators.

4. Enter an Atlassian account email address and click Grant access.

Give users admin permissions 

Also, just to give you a little bit of context, next-gen is a type of project and the organization is part of the site administration, so this setting is something that we won't find on project settings, but on Administration or directly on admin.atlassian.com.

Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 10.06.50.png

Regards,
Angélica

Curtis Hansen September 16, 2020

Thank you!

Like # people like this
Deleted user September 24, 2020

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/986290 And what do you do when they leave and you need to set someone else as an Org Admin, how do you square that circle?

Like Akshay Dhyani likes this
Wayne Horkan February 27, 2021

Was there a resolution to this? My org admin has left without handing over the details...

Like Eleanor Kerman likes this
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2021

Hi @Wayne Horkan,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

I saw that you created a ticket with our Customer Advocates and I added an internal comment asking them to move to our support team.

In order to remove the Org admin and add you as the new one, we need your consent to access your site and this can be done only through a support ticket.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Zsuzsanna January 19, 2022

Same here... we can't remove the only org admin who left, and the rest of us are site admins...

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
January 20, 2022

Hi @Zsuzsanna,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community!

I saw that you created a ticket with our support and they already answered informing you that there is another Org administrator that can remove the Org admin that left and add new ones.

If you haven't received the notification, you can access the ticket directly from our portal:

https://getsupport.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/48/PCS-75401

Kind regards,
Angélica 

9 votes
Ramesh Lakruwan December 10, 2020

If you are an ORG admin and need to add another ORG admin,

https://admin.atlassian.com/ ==> Pick the organization==>Settings from top of the page==>Administrators from left side panel==>Add Admins

Kyriacos Georgiou May 10, 2021

Thanks, this was the best answer. 

Like # people like this
1 vote
Luke Poga October 22, 2021

None of these suggestions work on mobile browser.

only options are to rename org and transfer org.

please make a ticket to fix this!!!

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
October 25, 2021

Hello @Luke Poga,

Thank you for reaching out to Community!

Testing on my mobile, I was able to access the Administrators menu normally.

When accessing an organization via mobile, since it’s a smaller screen, it will be necessary to click on the Menu to access the Settings and then click on the arrow on the left side to expand and select Administrators.

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 09.32.54.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 09.21.20.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 09.20.33.png

Hope this clarifies!

Kind regards,
Angélica

Kevin Suter November 26, 2021

@Angélica LuzIt seems this option is not available in the new UI. Are there changes been rolled out recently. In the training material we got for Jira Admin 1 the explanation is already different, we should give org admin rights from the "Products" page. Also the groups site-admins seems to be granted org admin rights. This is confusing.

Like # people like this
Peter Balderston December 7, 2021

Yep, looks like the UI has changed - granting a user org admin rights is now done from the target user's detail page:

admin.atlassian.com -> Click on the organization name -> Directory -> Users -> [User Name] "..." button -> Show Details -> "..." button -> Add organizational role.

Super buried!  Hope Atlasssian updates their docs soon.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Syed February 22, 2021

only an existing ORG Administrator can add/remove other ORG Administrators

Prasad Eda August 2, 2021

Hi @Syed - How do I get the ORG Admin privileges for my cloud site.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2021

@Prasad Eda  - as Syed mentions, someone who is already an Org Admin must grant you that permission. 

1 vote
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
September 25, 2020

Hello @[deleted],

Thanks for reaching out to Community!

The best option, in this case, would be adding someone else as Org admin before the account from the current Org admin be deactivated. 

Usually, the best people to administer the organization are other site admins that already have permission to manage users or the main billing and technical account. 

We always suggest adding more than one Org admin to prevent this type of issue. 

Regards,
Angélica

Syed September 28, 2020

Hi Angelica,

I'm taking over from an existing ORG ADMIN and he has already granted me the role (shown in users with my name). Now I would like to check my self how can I grant/revoke ORG ADMIN to others, but I don't see the following options anymore in JIRA cloud?

admin.atlassian.com > Click on the organization name > Settings > Administrators > Add administrators.

Could you please help me navigating to Administrator options?

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Syed September 28, 2020

I just found this menu option....thanks.

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Jeremy Whittington December 8, 2020

For everyone still looking for this, the settings choice is at the very top center.

Screenshot from 2020-12-08 14-51-59.png

Like # people like this
Karthiga Sethuraj February 19, 2021

Hello Guys, The org admin has left the org and I am a site admin. How do I make myself an org admin and how I can remove the former employee from this role ? Please advise.

This is my current view in the admin page.
JIRA admin.png

Thank you!

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
February 22, 2021

Hello @Karthiga Sethuraj,

Thank you for reaching out to Community!

I can see that you are a site administrator of a Standard Cloud site.

With this said, please, reach out to our support on support.atlassian.com/contact and allow them to access your site. They will be able to access the organization in order to remove the former org admin and then add you as the new one.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Like John Funk likes this

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events