How can I add an organization admin when the Administration option is missing from settings?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2022

Currently, per Give users admin permissions, only an Org admin can add another. The Org admin must follow the steps below:

1. Log in to your organization at admin.atlassian.com.

2. Choose Settings > Administrators.

3. Click Add administrators.

4. Enter an Atlassian account email address and click Grant access.

The problem I have is at step 2.  There is no Administrators option.

no-admin-option.png

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2022

Hi @Rob Horan ,

can you try this....

1. go to settings > user management 
  2. find the user you wish to provide Org admin permissions and view details
  3. click on ellipses in upper right and you should see the following 

FB8717D4-2152-4973-8BC4-7DBC5A4AF38F.jpeg

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2022

Thanks @Jack Brickey !

Do you know why the admin option might not be shown?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2022

By chance is this a Free account? I have found it missing on Free.

Like # people like this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 12, 2022

Yes sir, it is - well, a free trial of Standard.  However, that's an interesting observation.  I have seen this in more than one site, and they're all free. 

I haven't seen anything in the documentation stating that there are limitations of this sort on unpaid sites.

Also, I just checked several other organizations I'm an admin for, including one I know for a fact is paid and has been active and in good standing (financially) for a very long time.  Still no admin option.

another-no-admin.png

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 12, 2022

@Jack Brickey also, I thought oh, hey - they moved the option to "Prepare and set up your organization: Adding admins, verifying domains, Atlassian Access"

NOPE

From here I can view admins but I cannot add them.

view but not add.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2022

Some Community leaders were just discussing this last week. The Free account definitely lack the Administrator option. I think this centers around the fact that all users in free have admin permissions or the limitations of permission configurations. Documentation limitations around Free is spotty but then it is free so...kind of get what you pay for I guess. 😉

Like # people like this
Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 14, 2022

@Rob Horan @Jack Brickey 

It is not related to licensing.

Your org is on the "new user management experience." All new organizations receive it, but a large number of existing ones have not been migrated yet.

If you go to the second half of the page on https://support.atlassian.com/user-management/docs/give-users-admin-permissions/, you'll see the instructions, which are the same as what @Jack Brickey answered above.

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2022

Thanks @Dave Meyer  - its really not clear the way it's written. 

Is there an easy way people can tell which user management experience they have?

Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 14, 2022

@Rob Horan if you see "User" and "Groups" under the directory tab (as opposed to only "Managed accounts" and "Domains"), you have the new user management experience.Give_users_admin_permissions___Atlassian_Support.png

Like Rob Horan likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events