Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain verification with Atlassian Access and GSuites

David Hawn November 23, 2020

We use GSuites and our domain is verified with Google.  It is not an option for us to disconnect our domain from Google.  We are interested in using an identity provider for SSO and SCIM.  I have read through help pages and some of the community support, and it seems like my options are limited.

I think the following apply to this situation:

• You're using G Suite

Your users authenticate with Google. Because you verify your domain as part of your integration with Google, you can't verify your domain from your site. If you want to verify your domain, you'll need to disconnect the G Suite integration.

If your users for another domain aren't connected through G Suite, you can still verify that domain and subscribe to Atlassian Access security policies for that domain.

• When you connect to G Suite, you’re unable to provision users via SCIM or use SAML single sign-on because we’ll provision users from G Suite and they’ll be able to authenticate through Google. (from here)

In summary:

1. I can't disconnect our domain from Google to associate it with Atlassian Access.
  2. I want to use a 3rd party identity provider to provision users and provide SSO.
  3. I specifically don't want Atlassian to automatically provision users based on GSuites users. 

I can't imagine that we are the only company that uses GSuites and wants to use Atlassian Access in this way. Here is a related post.  Are there other options that I am missing?

Thank you for the help in advance.

David

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 28, 2020

Hey @David Hawn ,

There's no requirement that you have to use Atlassian's G Suite integration to verify your domain. The setup for your scenario should be pretty simple:

1. Use the DNS or HTTPS verification methods to verify your domain.

2. Configure SSO with your 3rd party IdP in Atlassian Access.

In order to use the DNS or HTTPS verification methods, you will need to disconnect the G Suite integration, but that shouldn't be an issue, since you're just going to use a different verification method for Atlassian to verify that you own the domain. This process has nothing to do with your usage of Google/G Suite/Google Workspace itself.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events