Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Trello after activating Atlassian Access

Joost Miljoen March 1, 2021

Hi there, 

Currently people within our organisation are using a free license for Trello with their company email address. Besides those free licenses, we are using payed licenses for Jira. 

We want to connect Atlassian with our own Azure Active Directory, specifically for Jira users. When connecting our domain via Atlassian Access, people with a free Trello license were connected too (because they are using their company email address for Trello). 

In which way do we have the possibility to disable those free Trello-accounts and let colleagues stop using Trello with their company email address. 

I hope to hear from you! 

Regards, 

Joost Miljoen 

4 answers

1 vote
Gabriele Rosati December 18, 2022

We have the same problem.

We have users with only Free Trello license that are in the provisioning scope of our identity provider (AzureAD) and with that, they are counted in Atlassian Access billing. 

In the managed accounts, I can't disable trello for users.

The most of them are not using it. More of 30 people have last login time before 2021.

If I exclude them from the provisioning, they can't access other products as a customer. For exemple, we use Jira Service Management as an Helpdesk for our internal factory.
So, it's not a solution for us.

You force us to pay for something we're not using.

Alexander Christian June 13, 2023

Same here... Looks like there is no solution for this :-(

1 vote
Darren Taylor September 30, 2022

Hi,

Found myself here after asking the same question, we don't want to have users create free trello accounts and up our access bill.

Not possible to control signup, or prevent signups adding to your Access bill if you still have a need AD linked/SSO accounts (for access like Serivce Desk customers which are free)

Atlassian support pointed me to this Suggestion that is currently "gathering info" so anyone thats in the same place, please add your voice to it

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CLOUD-11072

0 votes
Vanessa Jara August 23, 2023

Has anyone already solved with any policy in AD?

Alexander Christian August 23, 2023

This is simply not possible :-(

0 votes
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

Hi @Joost Miljoen , 

you can disable those users in the Directory -> Managed Accounts menu on admin.atlassian.com : in Product Access choose "Trello" and click on each user having access to Trello to deactivate their profile. 

This will also prevent these users from using their work email address in the future to sign up for Trello.

For other users, have a look at Atlassian documentation : https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/blog/2020/02/managing-trello-accounts-from-your-organization specifically the "Preventing users from signing up for Trello in the future" part.

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

Hi @Alexis Robert ,

Thank you for your reply, very helpful! At the moment we don't use Atlassian Access, because we want to disable those Trello-accounts beforehand. To prevent paying for a Atlassian Access license from people using Trello. This means that the Trello-accounts are not managed, right? After deleting/deactivating those Trello-accounts we want to use Atlassian Access only for our Jira users. 

Is it possible to disable those accounts without having Atlassian Acces activated? Or do we have to activate (and pay) Atlassian Access before we can disable their Trello accounts? 

And as an addition to this; we have colleagues that are using Trello as well as Jira. The URL you mentioned says that it is not possible to disable Trello, while keeping Jira activated for them. Do you think this will change? 

Regards,

Joost 

Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

Hi @Joost Miljoen , 

you can do the domain verification and manage accounts even without Atlassian Access : https://support.atlassian.com/user-management/docs/verify-a-domain-to-manage-accounts/

For your colleagues who have Trello and Jira, they will count only once on your Atlassian Access bill : no need for. them to disable their Trello account.

Hi @Alexis Robert , 

Thank you, we will try to manage it that way! 

I know, but our organisation don't want people to use Trello, so we want to limit our users to Jira and delete their other accounts (in our case only Trello). Is that possible? 

Regards,

Joost 

Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2021

In this case, I don't believe that you can prevent people with an existing Jira account to create free Trello boards ... you'll have to check manually every now and then if someone is using Trello

Arnold May 19, 2021

It should be possible to disable the use of Trello altogether. 

You are in effect facilitating dark IT solutions. 

Specifically from a ISO 27001 standpoint we should be in control in what tool can be used and what tool cannot. 

Like # people like this
Derek Wailes September 16, 2021

I agree, The ability to use unauthorized applications is a security problem

Like # people like this
Arnold January 18, 2022

@Alexis Robert Any idea is this possibilty of disabling Trello altogether is on a roadmap? And if not, what can we do to request it to be on the roadmap?

Like # people like this
Tristan Martin October 20, 2022

It's so frustrating to waste so much time on this!

Like # people like this
Ben Hawkins January 23, 2024

@Alexis Robert Any developments on this. With the recent Trello confirmed breach, there is extra concern that users can not be disabled from Trello altogether

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events