Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete/Disable a user via API.

Arshadul Huq October 6, 2021

I am planning to automate user off-boarding using API.

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/admin/user-provisioning/rest/api-group-users/#api-scim-directory-directoryid-users-userid-delete

I have tried this using postman, but it returned 401.

{
    "code": 401,
    "message": "Unauthorized"
}
I have also created API and use it looks like it did not work.
Any help is appreciable.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Neil
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 7, 2021

Hi @Arshadul Huq. Welcome to the community! This set of APIs (Cloud Admin) can only be used on managed accounts for which there is an organization and a verified domain. The other condition is that you have to be an organization admin. For more info about organizations, see: https://support.atlassian.com/organization-administration/docs/what-is-an-atlassian-organization/

Are you working within all of those requirements? If so, are there any API methods that you can call in the User Management APIs? (such as the GET/read operations)

Arshadul Huq October 10, 2021

Hi Neil,

Thanks for giving me the guideline.

I have a verified domain and i am the administrator. I have the connection accepted now. I can access (GET) the users information. I can enable user as well but when when I am trying to disable the user it return 400 error with following message:

{
    "key": "badRequestFormat",
    "context": {
        "message": "Invalid content type (application/octet-stream).  These are valid: application/json"
    },
    "errorKey": "bad-request-format",
    "errorDetail": {
        "message": "Invalid content type (application/octet-stream).  These are valid: application/json"
    }
}
Neil
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 12, 2021

@Arshadul Huq hmm.. so, according to the docs, that method doesn't require a body, nor a content-type for that matter; however, have you just tried setting the header Content-type to be application/json

I'd also check your Postman request to check the verb is DELETE and that there isn't any body content in the request.

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Arshadul Huq October 12, 2021

@Neil , Thank you for your help. Its working now.

Now the only issue is, how do i get {account_id} to 

Disable a user .

My scenario is, i have UserName/Email. How do i get the {account_id} from that.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Arshad.

Like Allan Maxwell likes this
afelts July 5, 2022

@NeilAre we able to use this API via ScriptRunner? I am trying to create a script that will disable users once they leave the company.

Below is the code I'm using but its not working:

def disableUser(userId){
put("https://api.atlassian.com/users/${userId}/manage/lifecycle/disable")
.header("Content-Type", 'application/json')
.header("Authorization", "Bearer ${encode}")
.body()
.asString().body
}

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events