Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create/Delete user account only for Confluence in the directory

Mrinalini Pal August 10, 2021

The directory in Atlassian is available to multiple Atlassian products like Jira, Confluence, etc.

I am trying to create an account in the directory using the POST API . The user created can be accessed by both Jira and Confluence. However, I want to create users only for Confluence and not for Jira.

Similarly when I am using the DELETE API to remove/deactivate a user from the directory, it is removing the user even if the user has access to other Atlassian products(like Jira, Confluence, etc.). I want to delete a user only for Confluence but the user should be able to access Jira.

Are there any other APIs for user creation/deletion that is Atlassian product specific? I need to create and delete users only from Confluence irrespective of other atlassian product accesses. Please help.  

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2021

Hi @Mrinalini Pal ,

no, there's no such API endpoint.

There is always only one account for one user and you grant the user access to different Atlassian products (this is done by adding user to some specific user groups).

See more here.

Mrinalini Pal August 11, 2021

Okay. So you mean I can add users to the directory and make them part of a specific user groups for Jira and Confluence separately?

What should I do if I have a user account as a part of a directory and belonging to two groups, one for Confluence and one for Jira. But I need to revoke Confluence access from the user while maintaining Jira access. Should removing the user from the Confluence group be enough to restrict Confluence access for the user? 

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2021

Yes, exactly, removing the group, which provides access to Confluence, should be enough. User will still be able to get to Jira, but not to Confluence.

Like Blandine ROQUES likes this
Mrinalini Pal August 11, 2021

When I am fetching all the groups using the Fetch Groups API, I am getting a list of groups in the response that includes a group for Confluence named confluence-users that has been generated automatically because I did not create this group explicitly. I also see a number of groups for Jira (jira-administrators, jira-core-users, jira-servicemanagement-users, jira-software-users) all generated automatically.

I want to create a group in the directory, add accounts as members to the group and provide the group with Confluence access so that only the users that are part of the group can access Confluence. Are there any APIs that can be used to provide Confluence access to a group and revoke Confluence access from a group? 

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2021

Hi @Mrinalini Pal ,

is there any particular reason, why do you want to create a new group for this? Because confluence-users and all these groups were prepared exactly for this purpose, so I would recommend you to use these (if user is a member of confluence-users, he has access to Confluence etc.)

Mrinalini Pal August 12, 2021

Hi @Hana Kučerová ,

The solution for adding the users to confluence-users group to provide Confluence access and deleting the users from the group to revoke Confluence access works !

Thank you for the guidance.

Like Hana Kučerová likes this
Mrinalini Pal August 18, 2021

Hi @Hana Kučerová ,

Is there API to perform search on Confluence users only that supports filter and pagination? I want to perform a search operation on users that have Confluence access and that are active in the user provisioning directory.

Please help!

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 28, 2021

Hi @Mrinalini Pal ,

I apologize for the late answer. It's a little bit strange, but it looks like the endpoint, which enables you to search for the users, exists only for Jira.

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events