Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect G Suite and enabled SAML Authentification

Kevin Delord November 8, 2018

Good morning folks!

At my company we would like to configure the G Suite to sync our users automatically.

At the same time, we would like to set up Single Sign-On (SSO) via SAML for the Atlassian Cloud Application.

Here the documentation on Google that I found:
https://support.google.com/a/answer/7553615?hl=en&ref_topic=6304947

Will the SAML integration also sync the Google users onto the JIRA platform?

Are those two features compatible? Which approach is the most appropriate for us?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2018

Hi @Kevin Delord,

Unfortunately it's not possible to combine G Suite provisioning with SAML SSO. If you configure G Suite syncing, your users will also need to sign in with their Google account. To achieve both user syncing and SSO, there are two options:

1. Configure SAML SSO and use SCIM to sync users from your identity provider. We currently support user syncing for Okta – Azure AD and Onelogin are coming soon.

2. The G Suite integration supports both SSO and user syncing, so as mentioned above, if you are syncing users from G Suite, they will also be redirected to log in with their Google account to Atlassian Cloud.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Kevin Delord November 26, 2018

Hi @Dave Meyer

Thank you for your quick reply.

Your answer cleared out the confusion, the integration of SAML SSO and the G Suite syncing are not compatible.

Do I still understand correctly that SAML SSO is possible with Google as Identity Provider when using Atlassian Access and configure an "unsupported identity provider" ?

It also appears that SSO + G Suite sync makes everything easier and faster, but what kind of SSO is it? My guess is OAuth and not SAML, could you confirm ? 

Thanks!!

Kevin

Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 26, 2018

Hi @Kevin Delord,

Do I still understand correctly that SAML SSO is possible with Google as Identity Provider when using Atlassian Access and configure an "unsupported identity provider" ?

Yes I believe this should be possible.

It also appears that SSO + G Suite sync makes everything easier and faster, but what kind of SSO is it? My guess is OAuth and not SAML, could you confirm ?

This uses Google's OpenID Connect endpoint.

Cheers,

Dave

Kevin Delord November 27, 2018

Perfect answer! thanks a lot for your help!

Kevin

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events