Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing email id - User is both managed and unmanaged

Phalgun Maddali May 14, 2020

Hi

I am trying to updated a users' email id from username@approveddomain1.com to username@approveddomain2.com. Both the old and new domains are 'approved domains' in the Org Setup (not verified domains).

I visit the user's profile page to edit their email id, and I cannot see the edit email id option even though I am Global Admin. 

I ask the user to do it themselves at https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/email but they see an error - Your Account is managed, contact admin to change your email address. 

So I visit admin -> organization -> managed accounts section and I see "you have no managed users". 

How do I change this person's email id? 

2 answers

1 vote
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 17, 2020

Hello @Markus Kirchhofs,

Thank you for reaching out to Community!

After verifying a domain, it's necessary to claim the accounts, so the accounts will be managed by you and you will be able to change their email address.

Please, check the 2. Claim accounts with the domain on the link below:

Please, give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Angélica

Markus Kirchhofs September 17, 2020

Hi Angélica,

this worked perfectly. I think I was stuck in the User Management of Jira Software, not knowing that there is another user management on the organisational level.

So please allow me another question: Is there a way to bulk change user mails? We're considering to change our default domain to another one, hence this would be very handy not to change every single account's mail address.

Cheers and thanks a lot
Markus

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 18, 2020

I'm glad that it's working now!

Regarding bulk change email address, this option is not available in the UI. There was a feature request that was closed as won't do and they mentioned that would be possible using API:

while we understand bulk actions for admins would be a convenient addition, we will not be delivering this through the interface. We would provide this capability through APIs for automated user updates. 

The API that allows changing the email address is the one below:

You can use the API below to get their accountid:

Hope this helps!

Markus Kirchhofs September 21, 2020

Thanks for the push to the right direction!

I'll try to utilise the API. Looks quite straight forward. ;)

Like Angélica Luz likes this
1 vote
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
May 22, 2020

Hello Phalgun,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

Since Atlassian account was introduced some years ago, administrators can no longer change the users' email address, unless the domain is verified.

I can see that the domain is not verified (the same of your email address) and that you didn't subscribe Atlassian access and since we don't know the affected email, we can't tell what happened in this case.

On your site, there are more than 1500 users with different email domains, so it will be complicated for us to help you without knowing the affected user/domain.

A user can use the same email address on multiple sites, so probably the domain was claimed on another Cloud site.

Since the community is public, it's up to you and the owner of the email address to share the email address here, and if you don't feel comfortable doing that, please contact our support on support.atlassian.com/contact in order to share with them the affected email address.

Regards,
Angélica

Markus Kirchhofs September 14, 2020

Hi Angélica,

I have a similar problem not being able to change email addresses (neither for any user nor my own). Our domain is verified.

However, I get the option to suggest a change on users who did not register to the site, yet.

Cheers
Markus

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events