Can I sync manually added users with the IdP on an ongoing basis?

Nakul Jamadagni January 22, 2021

Hi,

We have a case where existing users keep inviting new users from the company to the application. Now even though we have SCIM enabled the users register via the manual method and are out of sync with the IdP SCIM and cannot be managed by SCIM.

Now I know, Okta has an import function to resolve this but thats not something I am given access to. So wondering if there is another way to enable on-going sync with IdP so that any new manually added user becomes managed by SCIM at a later point?

I understand the requirements: Yes, the user must exist in our IdP group for authentication/SSO but might not have been assigned the app for SCIM group provisioning. Does that make sense? Or am I doing something wrong?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2021

Hey @Nakul Jamadagni, I've seen a similar situation, and how I got around that was reassigning the users/groups from the assignments tab on the Idp side and syncing again. Have you tried that?

Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2021

Agreed. If the user has already been invited manually and you assign a user with the same email address in Okta, then we will match it to the existing account. The profile details from Okta will become the source of truth and the user will be fully managed in Okta like any other IdP-managed user.

On the end user's side, they won't notice a thing unless they had manually set profile details (like job title) already. In that case they would get overwritten by the values from Okta.

Like # people like this
Nakul Jamadagni January 24, 2021

Thank you @Ivan Lima / @Dave Meyer for the quick response. This has resolved quite a few but some corner cases remain not in sync. Any recommended way to resolve these inconsistencies?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events