Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I skip claim accounts step after domain verification for SAML set up?

Sravani Kirla March 9, 2020

We are in the process of moving our Jira instance from on-prem to off-prem, and our current instance is on-prem which is currently being used and has SSO. But when I try to setup SAML for off-prem (non-prod) it asks me to verify domain, once I am done that - next step is to claim accounts in that organization/domain. 

But I am little hesitant to do that as I am unaware of any impact for current user logins(on-prem) so I tried to skip that but looks like it is needed to setup SAML auth. Can anyone help me understand the impact of user logins for our on-prem service?or is there a way that I can skip this claim process as I have few users created by invitation URL's on whom I can test my configuration.

Thanks,

Sravani

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 13, 2020

Hi @Sravani Kirla ,

No, you need to claim the accounts before you can enable SAML SSO. At a high level, the process is:

1. Verify domain

2. Claim accounts

3. All claimed accounts become "managed" by your organization

4. Enable SSO, which is applied to all your managed accounts.

The purpose of separating out the domain verification step and "claiming" step is so that you knows how many users are going to be claimed and can notify them in advance, since it will trigger an email to users (there's an example of the email in the doc).

Unfortunately it's not currently possible to test SSO with only a few users. The best way to do this is by first verifying a subdomain and inviting a few dummy users that have email addresses tied to that subdomain. (More detail in a previous answer here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Atlassian-Access-questions/Re-SAML-Configuration/qaq-p/1178658/comment-id/757#M757)

Hope this helps.

Dave

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events