Can I make a user an Org Admin of Sandbox and not an Org Admin of Production?

andy.pawl April 20, 2022

So I have created an API for a Dev Ops (sandbox) team that wants to push their custom App to JIRA Cloud and then send updates to that App when needed. That part is complete and verified but they now have come back and asked for UI (user) access to Apps in order to validate that their work is functioning properly.

From what I am seeing in order to allow this, I would have to make the user an Org Admin of our Production instance - as the sandbox instance falls under that.

Or:

I could create a test (free) instance for them to play in - back up and restore into that instance. However with the new governance of "free" instances this will give them 14 days to perform all testing. I know I can ask to have that extended but this route seems rather convoluted and extremely time consuming.

Any ideas/comments?

TIA

AP

1 answer

1 vote
Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 23, 2022

Hi @andy.pawl ,

You can make the user a member of the site-admins group on your sandbox site (or directly grant them access to the sandbox product) without making the user an org admin. Just follow the instructions here: https://support.atlassian.com/user-management/docs/update-product-access-settings/

This will allow the user to install the custom app on the sandbox and validate the behavior. Do you think that meets your needs?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events