Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access using multiple directories or account types

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2020

I don't do a lot of work with Atlassian Access beyond configuring a directory and testing the right users and groups etc are appearing in the applications, and I can't find a simple answer in the documentation.

The scenario is that we've got our internal users in our corporate directory (say AD), accessed via Access and on a verified domain, which is working fine.  We want to invite external users in, without adding them into our internal directory.

I know we could easily add a second verified domain, but could that use a separate directory?  Or, better, could we use Access to grant access to Atlassian accounts (Which we wouldn't own)

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2020

Hey @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

The organization-level directory in admin.atlassian.com currently only includes managed accounts (accounts on domains you have claimed). You can still invite external users directly to individual Jira and Confluence sites.

We're currently working on two areas that are relevant to your question:

1. Adding support for both syncing external users that are present in a connected external directory, this will allow you to use user provisioning to grant access to external users, even if you cannot enforce security policies on them. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ACCESS-648

2. We are implementing a fully integrated org-level directory that shows both internal and external users from all linked sites. (I think this, combined with the inviting external users directly to each site functionality, is your desired state) https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/cloud?status=inTheWorks&enterprise=userManagement

Cheers,

Dave

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2020

Thanks Dave!

You're right on what we're aiming for, option 2 is indeed the ideal scenario, and 1 would be better than what we have now.  But knowing that we can do it "by claimed domain" and by "individual invite" is good enough to get us started.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events