Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communcation from Atlassian is somewhere between bad UX and a financial scam

Michał Kwieciński April 26, 2021

Situation: two admins - one technical and billing admin for Jira/Confluence.

Technical admin sees at admin.atlassian.com:

You're about to lose the setting for automatic deactivation because your Atlassian Access trial is about to end. Subscribe to keep your settings.

This is OK, since I will not subscribe.

But now, the billing admin receives the following e-mail:

You're receiving this email because you or another admin in your organization subscribed to Atlassian Access, but we don't have your payment details. [Add payment details]

Now this is an outrageous dark pattern. Technical admin is certain Atlassian will not bill for unwanted services. Billing admin is certain the technical admin made a decision that a new paid service is required and complies with the call to action. In a high-trust environment billing admin inputs the card details without prior consultation with technical admin... and the money is gone. Thankfully, my environment is of a limited trust ;), but now also towards Atlassian.

PS

I love this UX - to get for 4 services, you have to input card details 3 times.

1 comment

Ryan Marks April 28, 2021

I opened a support ticket with Atlassian purchasing and licensing help.  I pointed out the timeline of notifications we had received:

* October 13, 2020: migration from the G Suite integration to Atlassian Access and that we'd be granted a free 6-month trial.

* January 22, 2021 (and a few dates later): If you do nothing at the end of the 6-month trial, you will automatically lose these additional features, including SSO, as we will downgrade you to the free version of G Suite.

* April 24, 2021: Action required: We need your payment details

I included, "None of our administrators subscribed us to Atlassian Access. We were migrated to this upgraded version of the G Suite integration."

I received a wall of text as a reply that included background on the change, a list of the free version features, a list of the paid version features, and a link to how to unsubscribe: 

https://support.atlassian.com/subscriptions-and-billing/docs/unsubscribe-from-atlassian-access/

The support agent also included, "I'll be sure to provide your comments as feedback for our product management team so they can review and improve the way these product launches are communicated and initiated with customer cohorts."

I'm still disappointed in the mixed messaging in the April 24 email.

Like Michał Kwieciński likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events