Org admins can now rename groups in cloud

futurama-good-news-everyone.gif

Some context

Atlassian customers have not been able to rename groups in cloud for a while now. If there’s a spelling mistake, change of team name, or anything that requires a change in a group name, it could not be done. The only option was to create a new group, move all the users from the old group to the new group, move all their permissions to the new group, then delete the old group… Or, live with it…

We understand our customers frustration, and are sorry you’ve had to wait 19 years, 11 months and 18 days for ID-6677 to be addressed.

Good news! 🥳

From late February 2023, we’re excited to release a beta version of our group rename feature to most customers (a note on this below) in cloud. You’ll be able to rename groups from the group details screen at admin.atlassian.com. Group name changes will also appear within the Atlassian Access audit logs.

Group Rename Blogpost 1.png

Average news 🫤

There are some caveats for now around which groups can be renamed:

• We don’t allow special groups to be renamed yet, such as site-admins.

• Groups that are synced via an IdP (SCIM) cannot be renamed, yet.

• Being a beta feature, you may experience some slowness when renaming groups or unexpected errors, we’re working to improve this.

Bad news... 😢 

There’s still work to be done to enable this for all customers and all groups.

For now, the group rename feature will only be available on the improved user management UI. And we’re still working on getting all our customers onto that UI.

The group rename feature is also not available for groups that are used in some Jira features. If your group is used in one of these Jira features, we’ll help direct you to the location to remove this group, so you can continue with renaming it, if you choose.

Group Rename Blogpost 2.2.png

More Jira features will be unblocked over the next 12 months and you can track that progress via ID-8092.

This feature has been made possible by a number of changes we've made in our cloud architecture over the last few years. It will not address the same group rename issue that still exists in server and data centre. 

App news 👩‍💻

Some apps may still rely on hardcoded group names to work. Jira and Confluence developer communities have put out blog posts asking Developer Partners to move off GroupName as keys and use GroupIDs instead.

If you experience some problems with your apps after changing a group name that the app utilises, please change the group name back or reconfigure your app to use the new group name. As mentioned above, you can track group name changes from within the Atlassian Access audit logs.

Thanks 🙏

We understand how frustrating this has been for you, and we’re sorry this has taken so long to deliver. It has been a long time coming and I’m ecstatic that we’ve been able to finally deliver group rename to most of you.

For those that are still waiting to be able to use this feature in cloud, we’re working hard to deliver it to you as soon as possible.

Update 15/03/2023 - Jira Automations

We've found that if a group is renamed, and that group name is used within a Jira Automation, the automation will not work. We're working to include automations within the group rename limitation check. 

29 comments

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2023

WOOHOO! This is great! So badly needed for so long. Thanks for knocking this out and continuing to iterate on additional functionality!

Like # people like this
Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2023

Hey @Kieren 

While this is absolutely a step in the right direction, https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ID-6677 (the Atlassian Access request) was duplicated from the original on-premise ticket ( https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-1391 ) so retained it's original creation date. 

The frustration you apologised for the "19 years, 11 months and 18 day" wait still continues to anybody using your on-premise products as https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-1391 has no indication it's being worked on, so our clock continues ticking. 

Hoping for some good news on the DC/on-premise front at some stage.

CCM

Like # people like this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2023

Thank you! This will definitely help.

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2023

Thanks for this post and the new ticket @Kieren - awaiting this feature. One question I ask is will this ability be availble via the API as well? Thank you

Kieren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2023

@Yatish Madhav No API available sorry.

Kieren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2023

@Craig Castle-Mead Good point. I can't speak to the Server team's plans, but I will share our success and struggles with this Cloud feature with them.

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 22, 2023

Thanks @Kieren - that makes me (and I am sure/hope other developers too) sad ... I wonder if there is a plan in the long term to add to the API?

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 23, 2023

I love to see the old customer feedback being picked up again :)) better late than never! Thank you for bringing this feature to Confluence <3

Like Dave Mathijs likes this
Raghavendra Reddy February 27, 2023

This is great! This will definitely help.

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 28, 2023

Well done!

giphy

Jeanne Howe March 6, 2023

@Kieren 

The frustration you apologized for the "19 years, 11 months and 18 day" wait still continues for every server/DC users- the users who originally requested this update 19 years, 11 months and 18 day ago

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-1391

Based on the creation of https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ID-8092

Cloud has only been waiting for this for 3 months

Once again Cloud enhancements are being made on the back of your server/DC users while we see no progress at all.

Like Piotr Galas likes this
Kieren
Atlassian Team
March 7, 2023

@Jeanne Howe Thanks for the feedback, I've updated this article to be clearer this change is for cloud only.

I've also passed your feedback onto the DC team.

Erki Tammik
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2023

@Kieren 

How far is the roll out? 

I'm managing new instance and I really miss renaming option for groups.

Like Dave Mathijs likes this
Anibal Carracedo June 2, 2023

Is there an API to delete Atlassian Admin groups?

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2023

@Kieren Hope you are well? Please advise when this will be rolled out? Thank you.

Phillip C June 13, 2023

waiting on this to be available. Please get this pushed out to customers, we need this. 20 years and counting to have the ability to rename a group - [ID-6677] Renaming groups after creation. - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products.

Speechless.

Like Yatish Madhav likes this
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2023

Once again, @Kieren , ping ...

Erki Tammik
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 14, 2023

@Kieren when will this feature be made available to a broader range of users? I'm aware that it's already accessible on certain instances, but we are currently lacking access to it.

Kieren
Atlassian Team
June 15, 2023

Hi Everyone,

If you'd like more specific information on when your individual sites and organisations will have this feature available, please raise a support ticket here https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/.

Generally, 90% of customers have access to this today. 99% of customers will have access to it by August 2023. 100% of customer will have access to it by December 2023.

Like # people like this
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2023
Thanks for updating. FYI I got this from a support ticket I had if helps. I know this dependancy tracking ticket is open with updates. But in the meanwhile, these may need to be checked manual until it is shipped/deployed/rolled out to all instances.

"Before deleting the jira-administrator group, I'd recommend you to check all your settings where this group could be possibly used. We dont have an official document stating a definite list but I checked my site and listed out all possible places where user group settings would be present. You can go ahead and check for them.

Permission Schemes, Notification Schemes, Issue Security Schemes, Shared filters, Project Roles, Global Permissions, Custom field values, Post functions in workflows, Conditions in workflows, Shared dashboards, Filter subscriptions, Plugins, Worklog"

Thank you
Like John Funk likes this
Sander Huijssen July 26, 2023

When will renaming groups be available using the cloud API?

Like # people like this
Michael August 20, 2023

Has the Jira automations fix been put in place yet ? 

Tobias H
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2023

@KierenThis was announced in Feb 20, but we still don't have this feature in our workspace. What could the timeline be for us? :)

Shiv Sharma January 11, 2024

@Kieren We still don't have this feature in our instance. Any idea when will this feature roll out to us? Thanks!

Like hboigny likes this
Gavin Perch
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 5, 2024

a Year later, and we still don't have this avail to us :(

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events