Use Case?

Joey Klein April 7, 2021

Apologies in advance if this isnt the place to ask this kind of question but...i signed up for early access and this looks so cool.  My question is, is this supposed to be used along with JSW or Core or is this standalone?  Say we define epics as 'projects', does this take the place of epic reports?  Do we link these together somehow?  so many questions. 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rachel Lin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 7, 2021

Hi Joey! Great question - thanks for asking. We're also happy you have positive first impressions of Team Central so far. I think I may have answered it in the in-app feedback you sent, but just in case anyone else is wondering the same thing: 

Team Central is a standalone tool for project communications. It aims to solve the problem of communicating outwardly to your stakeholders or dependent teams who are not ingrained in your day to day work, but need to know what’s going on at the high level.

How this may play with Jira is: think of Jira as your direct team’s way of communicating, Team Central is your teams-of-team’s solution for communicating and managing dependencies. The level of granularity you communicate to these groups is different.

Today, you may want to link into Jira from Team Central to provide additional detail for readers. We have smart links that help provide context to these links. 

The epic in Jira could map to a project in Team Central (that's a good way to think about size of a TC project), but you would plan that epic in Jira. When the project has kicked off,  you use Team Central to communicate on its progress to other teams. Right now, there isn't a specific way to link these together and sync data between the two (what might you need to sync?) but we have been working on a lightweight Jira integration, which is coming soon. 

Joey Klein April 8, 2021

Thanks Rachel (especially for responding twice).  Makes perfect sense and I can definitely see the application of this now. 

Like Bridget likes this
Nick Murden April 28, 2021

Thanks for the detailed answer Rachel. I have a follow-up question

It aims to solve the problem of communicating outwardly to your stakeholders or dependent teams

If our stakeholders do not have an Atlassian account can they still access Team Central and/or see updates to a project?

Rachel Lin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 28, 2021

Hey @Nick

We refer to "outward stakeholders" here as internal management or dependent teams that are still within the realm of your organisation. In this case, they will require an Atlassian account to access your Team Central workspace and receive updates. 

0 votes
redmon wong May 13, 2022

hi Rachel @Rachel Lin , had this lightweight Jira integration come already? Our team are looking forward to use it

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events