Not possible to delete projects or goals?

Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2022

I have not been able to find a way to delete projects or goals. Is this not possible, or have I just missed it?

12 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Patricia Ermisch _STAGIL_ May 6, 2022

Hi Jimi,

i think so far it is only possible to archive projects and goals in Atlas at the moment.

At least I have not seen any other option so far.

Greetings,

Patricia

Sherif Mansour
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 31, 2022

Yep that's correct - no delete yet, just archive.

If you don't mind me asking, would love to learn more about the scenario you ran into when you wanted delete?

Jim September 30, 2022

For me, it would simply be maintenance. Rather than having an ever-growing archive, it would be helpful to fully clear out things that no longer have relevance. It would make the archive more functional as a restoration tool if it served as that transitional space between a project/goal and full deletion.

Over months/years, the archive will become massive and more unruly without any deletion capability.

Deletion supports better maintenance / organizational hygiene from my pov.

Like # people like this
Aaron Lange October 23, 2022

@Sherif Mansour the scenario for us is: we are learning how to make Atlas work for us. Part of this learning is discovering what should count as a "goal". As we experiment, we discover that some "goals" we captured are best captured in some other way, so we want to delete them. This is before we have added any updates to the goal. 

Like # people like this
Adam Zaborski October 23, 2023

I'm dealing with very similar scenario. I wonder if canceling Atlas subscription from billing console and then sing up for it again will clear out everything letting me start from beginning ?

Atlas subscription.jpg

Like eduardocruz likes this
Pavol Perdík February 5, 2024

I understant that for regular project lifespan you should always prefer archiving it over deleting it. Agree on that. 

But choosing delete as an action in general over archive is usually better in scenarios when you created an entity that shouldn't have existed in the workspace. Typical scenarios includes:

1. creating a project by mistake (you don't want to archive it, you want to really delete it)
  2. creating a testing project (again, there's no need to archive a project that was used to actually get to know the tool)
  3. or on rare cases when you want to re-structure your project (i.e. split into two or merge, etc.)
Like # people like this
6 votes
Matt Fraser December 20, 2022

+1 need the ability (even if just for Admins) to delete old Projects, Goals, Tags (Topics). In testing we have created a bunch of old ones. 

One really big use case of why this currently is an issue is that in "Projects" if you click to filter by "Goals" all goals show up (both current and archived). I renamed the to archived but still they shouldn't show up in this filter without the option to include archived ones.

(side note is that I'm very worried about opening this up as everyone has the ability to create anything and nothing can be deleted)

Screenshot 2022-12-20 090505.png

5 votes
Erik February 10, 2023

A suggestion:

I'm perfectly comfortable not allowing for deletion of any project that was started and has an update, so companies keep those records. But we just accidentally created a few duplicate projects and I'm hoping we can get rid of them. They're empty.

4 votes
Tom Vergotte January 18, 2024

+1 for getting a delete option for wrongly created projects. 

2 votes
Alberto Salvante
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2022

Hi Jimi!

To delete a project you should go to

projects --> view all projects --> click on "..." next to the project you want to delete and then you should see the "delete project" option.

Hope it helps.

Best,
Alberto

Raquel Cueto-Senra May 11, 2022

There is no Delete option, only the next:

• If the project has been archived - "Restore project"
  • If the project has not been archived - "Archive project"
1 vote
Irsyad Kamil
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 21, 2024

+1 for delete

1 vote
Pavol Perdík February 5, 2024

+1 for the delete

1 vote
kbarcelo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 12, 2024

We are also learning how to use this tool and in the process we've created some dummy/wrong projects and goals and we want to delete them now. 

It is weird how this tool does not have an option to delete stuff... 

1 vote
Joshua Heling January 12, 2024

+1 for the desire to delete - not having a delete is strange and risky for all the reasons noted above.

Michele A_ Fisher February 14, 2024

+1 for delete

1 vote
Sing Chen October 5, 2023

There are a couple of storage-related considerations:

• Only Atlas Premium has unlimited storage, with Free coming with 2GB. The more history of projects and goals that are built up without the ability to delete, the more storage becomes a barrier to entry since consumption can only ever increase.
  • Perhaps less of a consideration but what comes to mind is data retention/compliance/GDPR related topics. Without the ability to delete data from Atlas, users are at risk of being exposed to breaches depending on their 'data' roles (processor, controller, etc).
0 votes
pato
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 23, 2024

+1 for the delete

0 votes
ivychan March 15, 2024

+1 for the delete

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events