Is there API endpoints to download Atlas content?

James Bergstra February 1, 2023

I am preparing custom reports by combining data from Jira and Confluence, and I'd like to add data from Atlas.  Does Atlas have API access?

5 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Sherif Mansour
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2023

We currently don't have this but are looking into it in our mid-term roadmap. 

Today as a workaround, you can export the data to CSV - would that help?

Would love to hear about your scenario - what kinds of reports / questions do you want to answer when combining data from Jira, Confluence and Atlas? Wondering if there is something else we can do better here.. 

Also, did you know that we have the Atlassian Data Lake which would let you query Jira and Confluence through a database like experience? https://www.atlassian.com/platform/analytics/what-is-atlassian-data-lake#why-use-the-atlassian-data-lake while Atlas isn't in the Data Lake yet (we hope to add it) that could be another way we could think about solving your problem - just interested to hear if you knew about this or is this another way you'd consider solving it.

James Bergstra February 16, 2023

Did not know about the data lake, thanks!  If the Atlas API happened to show up around the same time as Atlas data in data lake, I might rethink how I'm doing this so all queries go there instead.

Our teams are using Atlas for updates, Confluence for living docs with PRD / Project overviews, and Jira for coordinating within teams. We've designed processes to connect these things together relative to other company activities, and the scripts help catch instances where epics have invalid status, or doesn't match the status of the confluence, or if Atlas is missing some links it's supposed to have etc.

The CSV export might help, I'll look into it. I'll want an easy way to export somewhat in bulk, but I'll look what's there.

James Bergstra February 16, 2023

Honestly, the CSV export of the project list is mostly what I was looking for! If there was an API / URL *just for that* I'd be pretty happy.

My web programming skills are very basic - what's the url to get that CSV? I tried to look for it in the browser but I couldn't figure it out.

Bonus: the more project attributes the better, but whatev.

Sherif Mansour
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2023

@James Bergstra you can find it in the project and goals directory, behind the "..." menu:

CleanShot 2023-02-20 at 11.02.33@2x.png

Bryan Guffey March 27, 2023

Hey @Sherif Mansour - long time no talk (very long time!) - any updates on the Atlas API? We'd really like to adopt Atlas at Sonos but have a bit of time before our roadmap allows us to get to JIra Cloud, so the API would be a way for us to mimc some of the integrations you've built for Jira Cloud.

Thanks so much! 

Greg Billington August 9, 2023

Hi

I would be interested in an API to inject project updates into ATLAS so keen to hear about any plans for an API.

Like Hope Man likes this
Lukas Gren August 16, 2023

+1, API would help us a lot in automations and reporting

Like Hope Man likes this
Tim Holme September 20, 2023

+1, an API would help to extract this information for use in annual reviews

Like Hope Man likes this
Dominik Březina October 31, 2023

Greetings @Sherif Mansour

I checked the URL about data lakes but according to it, Data lake is only avaible to Cloud Enterprise.

Atlassian Data Lake is available for Cloud Enterprise customers of Jira Software, Jira Service Management, or Confluence.

In that case I would like to join others and also ask about update on implementing API for Atlas.

Greg Billington November 3, 2023

@Sherif Mansour In Feb you said this was being considered for mid term roadmap, did it (API for ATLAS) make onto the roadmap and any idea of timeline, what does mid term mean 6 months-1 year?

Like Dominik Březina likes this
Sherif Mansour
Atlassian Team
November 3, 2023

@Greg Billington sorry for the late reply and thanks for your patience. 

Good news: This is currently being worked on right now. @Dafne Guerra Rodriguez might be able to help and let you know details of possible target dates. 

Like # people like this
Sherif Mansour
Atlassian Team
November 3, 2023

Would love to hear / learn about what use cases you want the API for? What do you plan on doing?

Like mmarkham likes this
Pete Crocker November 4, 2023

@Sherif Mansour 

Here's my use case I'd like to solve. It's pretty straight-forward. We use Atlas. We use Salesforce. For various reasons, we need the same notes in both places. Don't ask why :) So what I want is to avoid having to login to Salesforce as much as possible (UX is horrible!).

Workflow is simple:

• User adds an update to an atlas project
  • Various fields from update get pushed to appropriate places in salesforce

With this not being a native automation possible today inside Atlassian's automations, I'm looking for a DIY solution:

• A webhook would be useful so I know when projects get updated
  • In absence of a webhook, I could do an API query and pull out updates periodically, and push them to Salesforce.

Absent an API, is there a way to pull out project updates via a script somehow today. This won't scale using a human to do a CSV export, I'm looking for a way this can be scripted.

Thanks! 

Like mmarkham likes this
Greg Billington November 6, 2023

@Dafne Guerra Rodriguez Would be great to hear what the API timeline is like and what endpoints you are planing?

Will it allow upload of a post to ATLAS?

Like mmarkham likes this
Greg Billington November 6, 2023

@Sherif Mansour Our use case is to use our automation and scripting tool to automatically post updates on a weekly basis with sprint metrics/data and product data/metrics from our out internal tools, so the rest fo the team can see them and someone doesnt have to do this manually.

Marc Roberts November 6, 2023

@Sherif Mansour I'd love access to the Atlas data via API as well. I'm looking at some reporting at an epic level and right now if I link an epic to a goal then effectively that epic is supporting one of our OKRs. I really like the way goals are set up in Atlas, would love to see some more functionality there as well - I've used Quantive before, and we've dabbled in a few different OKR add-ons, plus we have an "OKR" project where we're kind of hacking what we want into that as well. But ideally I'd pull back a lot of the hacking and leave it to the native functionality of Jira, Atlas and Confluence. Right now when I query an issue on the Jira API I can't see if it's linked to an Atlas goal or not, that's actually the functionality that had me searching for the Atlas API today.

Like Sherif Mansour likes this
Margo Sakova - OKR Board for Jira by Oboard
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 6, 2023

Hi @Marc Roberts , can you share which add-ons you've tried for OKRs in Jira, and what was wrong with them? There are some that can work quite seamlessly, with no need to go anywhere else outside the Jira instance. And with API connection, of course.

Dafne Guerra Rodriguez
Atlassian Team
November 6, 2023

Hi everyone! I’m Dafne the PM responsible for enhancing the integration of Atlas to other Atlassian products. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and comments here.

As Sherif mentioned, we’re in the early stages of this project and our initial focus is on two main use cases:

• Linking goals into Advanced Roadmaps in Jira Software
  • Improving the integration of projects and goals in Jira Product Discovery

We are targeting to roll out these features by Q2 - Q3. We’ve also got more product integrations in the pipeline but are still in the process of finalising timelines.

That being said, I wanted to share some integrations that are available to you today:

• You can link Jira epics (and above in the issue hierarchy) to Atlas projects. You can do this from Jira and Atlas
  • You can link Jira epics (and above in the issue hierarchy) to Atlas goals too. You can do this from Jira through the goals tab or in an epic; and also in Atlas

I understand that many of you are looking for more advanced functionalities, such as the ability to inject project updates into Atlas, integrate Atlas with Salesforce or access Atlas data for epic-level reporting. These are all excellent suggestions, and we will consider them as we continue to work on the API. To better understand your needs, I would love to hear more about use cases that are important to you.

If you have some time in the next couple of weeks and are interested in integrating Atlas with other Atlassian products (or non-Atlassian products), I would appreciate the opportunity to chat with you.

I’ve setup a booking link so you can pick a time that’s good for you for us to discuss.

If the available times aren't suitable, please reach out to me and we can work something out.

Thanks,

Dafne

Like mmarkham likes this
Lukas Gren November 6, 2023

Hi Dafne! My use case:

We have our own reporting tool and Atlas is a source of truth for project health in time - On Track | At Risk | Off Track | No Update. That's all we need for now from the API.

Thank you!

Like mmarkham likes this
Marc Roberts November 7, 2023

Hi @Margo Sakova - OKR Board for Jira by Oboard, not the best thread for a marketing chat about OKR Board, but nonetheless - Atlas is (currently) free and an Atlassian product, we have already validated the data and security of Atlassian so using Atlas is a bit of a no-brainer. OKR Board isn't free, and we weren't happy with the privacy, security and access needed by the OKR Board add-on. We will always prefer Atlassian native over third-party plugins.

Margo Sakova - OKR Board for Jira by Oboard
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 7, 2023

@Marc Roberts I intentionally left out any mention of our product since I was curious about your general experience with the Atlassian products and add-ons :)

And thank you for sharing your thoughts on data access and security concerns. It's always valuable to hear from a user's perspective.

Dafne Guerra Rodriguez
Atlassian Team
November 9, 2023

Thanks for sharing @Lukas Gren

That is something that we will be including in the API

Cami November 10, 2023

Hello @Dafne Guerra Rodriguez ,

Do you have any knowledge of whether user license counts will be available in the API?

Thanks!

Dafne Guerra Rodriguez
Atlassian Team
November 12, 2023

We haven't gone into that level of detail just yet but curious as to what would you use this for. Is there a use case you could share?

Thanks!

Flavio Barbosa
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 8, 2024

@Sherif Mansour  Is the ATLAS API ready? Is available?

[]'s

3 votes
Pete Crocker November 2, 2023

Here's my use case I'd like to solve. It's pretty straight-forward. We use Atlas. We use Salesforce. For various reasons, we need the same notes in both places. Don't ask why :) So what I want is to avoid having to login to Salesforce as much as possible (UX is horrible!).

Workflow is simple:

• User adds an update to an atlas project
  • Various fields from update get pushed to appropriate places in salesforce

With this not being a native automation possible today inside Atlassian's automations, I'm looking for a DIY solution:

• A webhook would be useful so I know when projects get updated
  • In absence of a webhook, I could do an API query and pull out updates periodically, and push them to Salesforce.

Absent an API, is there a way to pull out project updates via a script somehow today. This won't scale using a human to do a CSV export, I'm looking for a way this can be scripted.

Thanks! 

Pete Crocker November 2, 2023

FYI @Sherif Mansour details about our API/webhook use case as you work towards designing the solution!

Like Sherif Mansour likes this
1 vote
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2024

Are there any JAC tickets we can add our votes to that give different use cases already under consideration? 

My immediate thoughts for API access cover the following.

1. Extract Atlas information for inclusion in other systems both Atlassian and outside the ecosystem
2. Import information from other systems that impact a project deliverable - eg release updates, total # of passed/failed CI tests etc. 
3. Access to hierarchy of teams for approvals in JSM

One more thing...
Would love to have a dashboard gadget to be able to include the status updates on a rolling display alongside other Jira Software/Service Management information

1 vote
Hendrik-Jan Schoenmaker November 2, 2023

I work at a technology company - we build tools and automations within the company to make tools work for us. I'd like Atlas to open up so we can fix things that are limiting or not how we need them.

Here is my use case:

• Automate & integrate with N8N + Retool dashboards.
  • Integrate CI/CD systems to broadcast release automations + broadcast messages.
  • Build dashboard in Office / Looker or integrate with other existing dashboards to track project status.
  • Integrate with other dashboards to monitor project health and missing Jira or common standards needed for teams.

Because Atlas is the most lean and accusable product compared to Jira i'd like to push Atlas as a bare minimum required for project owners - but I need to compare with rest API's what missing connections there are and enforcement of regular updates or lack there of to connect with other automations.

0 votes
mmarkham November 20, 2023

I am interested in using Atlas as a way for a small team of project managers to provide regular updates and route them into a BI tool where the updates could be correlated with budget information and summarized for management review. In order for this to be practical we would need a robust method for moving basic project and update data from Atlas to the BI tool (DOMO)

Matt

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events