How to I assign a goal to a team in Atlas

Shaolin Life May 7, 2023

I was searching for a way to add my team to a goal so that I could search goals based on teams. I can find a way to do this. Please help

4 answers

3 votes
Sing Chen May 9, 2023

We're in early days of piloting Atlas and the goal-project structure is working well for us:

• We created goals and projects that contribute towards those goals.
  • Teams and individuals are assigned to those projects.
  • Those project-aligned teams are then associated with the goal.
  • The way we are using goals is as 'containers' representing business outcomes - those business outcomes don't mean anything unless we have projects that deliver some/part of the work needed to achieve the outcome.

2023-05-09 11 48 33.png

2 votes
Daniella Latham
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 9, 2023

Hi @Shaolin Life - @Sing Chen has the right answer for you!

Teams are added to goals based on the contributing projects that are linked to the goal.

CleanShot 2023-05-09 at 15.08.06.png

You can filter goals by going to the Goals directory page and choosing the Team you want as a filter.

CleanShot 2023-05-09 at 15.09.26.png

1 vote
Cyprien Kraaijpoel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 17, 2024

I don't see the added value of being forced to add a project to a goal, in order to see the contributing teams. This means that all activities must be performed with projects in Atlas in order to properly track OKR's, where-as not all projects are well suited to the Atlas format...

I honestly don't see the set-back in having a 'two-way street' in this regard;
1. Keeping the current functionality of showing teams through linked projects.

2. Allowing teams to be linked in themselves.

1 vote
Christina Kinney May 8, 2023

We had to assign a goal to a project, then a team to a project, and then the team was responsible for the goal. 

This is way too complicated, and we hope there is a better answer, too.

Daniella Latham
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 9, 2023

Hey Christina,

What would the ideal state look like for you?

Thanks, Daniella

Christina Kinney May 9, 2023

We were hoping to wrap our OKRs into Atlas - having the "big goals" as guiding principles, then the goals as they exist now in atlas being the KPIs/goals that feed into the larger, company-wide goals. The "subgoals" functionality exists, but we cannot default everyone into being associated to a top-level goal. They're assigned instead to projects, which are associated to various sub-goals of the main company-wide goals. 

In this way, I think what I'm asking for would be a top layer of goals, to which everything and everyone could map. We can currently answer the question, "what KPIs/sub-goals does this project map to?" but we cannot answer the question, "what company-wide goal does this project/KPI/Sub-goal map to? 

Christina Kinney May 11, 2023

see: 100 + OKR Examples: Take Ideas to Action in 2023 - Weekdone

Julia Holovko - Oboard - OKR Board for Jira _ Confluence
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 12, 2023

Hi @Christina Kinney ,

if you consider any alternative solutions, you can create the structure as in the screenshot above with OKR Board for Jira – it is the most popular OKR app on Atlassian Marketplace and I am part of the team. 

Basically, you can connect your goals/OKRst to Jira Initiatives, Epics, and Tasks in any way suitable for your org and assign a team/group on any level. 

For example, in the screenshot below the way the company organized its structure is as follows: Company annual goal -> Annual KR assigned to it -> Group goals -> Group KRs under them with Jira Epic and Jira task contributing to the Group goal.

OKR Stucture.png

If you're interested in learning more about the OKR structure and how it can be customized to your specific needs, I invite you to schedule a demo through our app page.

BR,

Julia

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events