How do I remove a follower of an Atlas Project

Hans Van Dingenen March 3, 2023

Seems there is no possibility to remove someone from following a certain Project.

202303 Atlas issue.png

8 answers

5 votes
Andrew Hammond
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2023

Hey @Hans Van Dingenen - indeed you are correct that you can't remove followers from projects like you can add them. Individuals have to explicitly unfollow themselves but will send this to the team for consideration. We may decide to add this functionality in the future.

Hans Van Dingenen March 6, 2023

Would be very helpful for at least administrators

Like # people like this
Anish Deena
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 6, 2023

Hi Hans, keen to understand why you want to remove this follower? We've debated this in the past and decided to let the followers decide if they want to unfollow or not. Would love the use-case a bit better

Hans Van Dingenen March 6, 2023

Associates (Business) move on to other positions within the company. Due to their new responsibilities, they have no longer any direct interest in the Project.

Like # people like this
Anish Deena
Atlassian Team
March 7, 2023

Thanks Hans, feels like a legitimate use-case and one you cant rely on the follower to unfollow by themselves. Is there a reason you wouldn't be ok with them remaining a follower?

Trying to understand if this is a case of cleanup to ensure that the followers group remains up-to-date or whether you are approaching this from a security/privacy perspective. Thanks

Like matteogreco likes this
matteogreco August 25, 2023

I'm not the OP, but I have a use case.

I removed an admin account that was following a project. This account still follows the project and keeps getting emails. I can't remove it from following.

Maybe this is more of a cleanup issue (I'd expect that, upon removing an account, that account's project following gets cleaned up too).

At any rate, how can I remove it now?

Aline Groves
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 19, 2024

Id also like to remove followers that I added my mistake (noob)

Menotti Minutillo February 9, 2024

@Anish Deena I have a user case as well. In Atlas, if you have multiple people with the same name (John Doe), there is no way to distinguish them when you @ mention them in a project. Hugely frustrating - but as soon as you @ mention them in some fields, they are auto added as watches. I would like to remove them once I can figure out who the right John Doe is. If you are worried about people mucking around with others' follow model, simply notify the target user if they have been removed as a follower by someone else.

caspero February 22, 2024

Hi @Anish Deena we have a deactivated user that has no product or group access that shows up in the follower list.

David Royes February 26, 2024

+1 

Project managers and admins need the ability to manage who gets updates on our projects. I think that there are a sufficient number of critical use-cases mentioned here that support the need for this functionality. 

Like Martha likes this
Julieanne Mortimer March 7, 2024

I added someone by mistake (very similar names) and I cannot remove the person who has no interest in the project. Would like to manage users in this scenario

ivychan April 19, 2024

I archived the project and didn't want any followers to receive any project update emails afterward.

3 votes
Erica Larson July 7, 2023

This is probably more of a training problem but our use case is that our executive team doesn't actually log into Atlas.  They just really like the email updates and call it good.  So when an messages me to ask to be removed, I have to walk them through the steps instead of just being able to execute the request for them.

3 votes
Rachel McCarthy June 2, 2023

Sometimes a person is added inadvertently and will not need to know status.  In this case yes, privacy could be an issue.   

Some complain and want an Admin to do it vs. clicking a button.

2 votes
Peter Quick February 1, 2024

+1 for project owners having capability to administer followers.

• People are lazy, they won't bother un-following, no matter how simple a process it is.
  • Some projects morph and change direction, follower audience changes, content may become inappropriate for deadwood followers.

We would appreciate a "remove follower" option.

Cheers,

PeterQ

1 vote
Martha
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 14, 2024

+1 -- I added followers to a project as part of testing out this feature, but now would like to limit this list. It's too easy to add followers to a project for it to turn out permanent. 

Atangan_ Mark Anthony V April 22, 2024

Did you get this resolved? I am running into the same issue

0 votes
Daragh Curtis March 7, 2024

Simply put, there are some business updates here that I don't want the team to see. 

Its not clear how long the team will see an update for , even after leaving the company, or if the person is deemed malicious and giving away company updates , I should be able to remove them. 

As an admin, I should have this rights on who does, and does not get to follow the project development, including future goals etc

0 votes
Bryan Darr March 5, 2024

In addition to the above use cases, I added a follower with the wrong email address, and can't remove them now. 

0 votes
Chris Nicholson-Doyle February 15, 2024

I share all use cases above. I have a set of projects which I added team members to test following, however we haven't gone live with those projects and need to remove them so all the changes I make while preparing the project doesn't update the followers.

Should be available for administrators.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events