How can we restrict access to team/project access in Atlas

Arpitha Akkapeddi February 2, 2023

Have created team in Atlas and wanted to restrict access to the team members and their project/activities rather than open team

1 answer

2 votes
Sherif Mansour
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2023

Hi Arpitha, team restrictions is still in progress. I've made a note of your +1 for this. Hopefully that will be available soon - sorry unable to provide an exact date.

I'd love to hear what kinds of teams are you wanting to restrict access to? What's the scenario?

Today you can only restrict access to projects. Here is how: https://intercom.help/atlas-by-atlassian/en/articles/6403749-restrict-the-viewing-and-editing-of-projects

Edmond Delude March 20, 2023

@Sherif Mansour - In the link provided, there is an example of assigning a Team to a Private Project. 

Leaving Teams unrestricted and then assigning them to Private Projects creates a risk and possible exposure to private information. In other words, if anyone can add themselves to a Team and that Team is associated to a Private Project, wouldn't they gain access to the private information? 

Using Teams would be preferred as is using Groups versus Users in Jira.

Sherif Mansour
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2023

@Edmond Delude not quite - but close! Today adding a Team to a private project only adds it as a once-off. Any subsequent members added to the team will _not_ get access to the project (And they will also need to be added manually) to avoid this security issue. 

Think of it as a shortcut for adding a group of users. 

Looking towards the medium term, we are looking at introducing private teams which will solve this problem (people need to request and be approved) before joining a team if the team is private. 

Hope that helps clarify! 

Tim Holme September 18, 2023

So Projects can be private but Goals are public? Is that true? It would be helpful to have private goals as well. What I imagine is a map from Teams to Goals where only members of the assigned teams can view/edit the goal

Like limartin likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events