Any recommendation for cancelling a project in Atlas?

Aaron Morris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2022

Does the community have a best practice or recommendation for cancelling a project within Atlas?  The use case is:  a project is so far "Off Track" that the team decides to cut their losses and pull the plug.  (i.e. cancel the project without finishing it.)

I see the following project statuses in Atlas:

• Off track
  • At risk
  • On track
  • Pending
  • Paused
  • Completed

Ideally, I would want to see "Cancelled" in that list.  In lieu of that status, what's the next best thing?  Some ideas I've considered:

• Marking as "Completed" and commenting that it's actually being cancelled.  That will work, but it would be misleading to anyone who doesn't read the fine print.
  • Marking as "Paused".  This is misleading because the project will never be resumed.
  • Marking as "Paused" and then archiving.  This might be the best option so far...I just don't like that it will drop off the recent timeline view.

Edit:  I think the same question applies to Goals in Atlas, as they share the same status list.  How best to document a failed goal/objective?  (If you're sufficiently aggressive, then sometimes you'll miss your goal, right? ;-) )

4 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Leah Picone October 19, 2022

When we Cancel a project I currently have the owner make a note in the project and then archive the project in it's current status.

We do this so that we don't skew the Completed and Archived values.

If something is Archived it's either Cancelled (any status not Completed) or Completed.

Aaron Morris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2022

Thanks!  So far, this seems to be the best suggested workaround while we wait for the enhancement from Atlassian.

Like • Jan-Hendrik Spieth likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Rachel Lin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 10, 2023

Hello team! 

I wanted to loop back and give you the update that we have now released Cancelled status for projects and goals 😄 We’re excited for you to try it and let us know what you think when you have work that needs to be marked as cancelled in the future!

cc: @Aaron Morris @Leah Picone @Jimi Wikman 

Aaron Morris
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2023

Perfect!

1 vote
Rachel Lin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2022

Hi! I'm Rachel and I'm a product manager on the Atlas team. 

Our team has spoken about adding a cancelled status before and we are in agreement that it is something that should be reflected in Atlas, as "Completed" in not a sufficient representation of this. 

We will keep you in the loop on when we start working on this and make it available. 

Thanks for your feedback! 

0 votes
Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2022

I fully agree with this suggestion.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events