Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set a custom field value with Script Runner on Create using other custom field valu

Renee Aper May 31, 2017

My apologies if I'm not posting in the correct place.

I have an inline Script Runner post function that works perfectly on a subsequent transition, but does not work on the create transition.

It takes the value from a custom field (Support Queue) and uses that to generate the user group to select from a single select list.

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
def projectComponentManager = ComponentAccessor.getProjectComponentManager()
def customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager()
def groupManager = ComponentAccessor.getGroupManager()

def queueCf = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Support Queue")
String qname = issue.getCustomFieldValue(queueCf) 

def singleGroupCf = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Notify Group")

def group = groupManager.getGroup("Notify " + qname)

issue.setCustomFieldValue(singleGroupCf, [group])

It is working correctly on my "Escalate" transition, but not working on the create transition.  On Create, nothing is populated in the "Notify Group" field.

I am thinking maybe something is not available on create that is available in later transitions?

On create, I actually copy the issue type name into the "Support Queue" field, This is done in a post function prior to the script post function.

If need to use "Issue Type" instead of the custom field to find the name, that would be good too.  

I tried 

String qname = issue.issueType.name

But that didn't work either.  

Any help would be greatly apprciated!

3 answers

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Simon Tost [TNG] June 18, 2020

For reference:
There is a -- script-only -- solution to this problem in this other question: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Answers-Developer-Questions/Groovy-Post-function-on-Create-transition-can-t-set-custom-field/qaq-p/474592

What I ended up using was something like:

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import static com.atlassian.jira.event.type.EventDispatchOption
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.util.DefaultIssueChangeHolder
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.ModifiedValue

def now = (new Date()).toTimestamp() // value to use depends on custom field type
def modifiedValue = new ModifiedValue(null, now)
dateCf.updateValue(null, issue, modifiedValue, new DefaultIssueChangeHolder())
ComponentAccessor.issueManager.updateIssue(user, issue, EventDispatchOption.ISSUE_UPDATED, false /*sendMail*/)

(and put it just after 'issue created' postfuntion.)

But all credit goes to @JamieA  ;)

0 votes
Renee Aper June 17, 2017

I have tried moving my post function to just about every position, and could not get my custom field to to take the value.

I did think of a different approach that worked though. I created a scripted field that takes the value from "issuetype" and puts "Notify " in front of it.

Then, added a post function to copy the value of one field to another. Copy My scripted field into "Notify Group", and it works like a charm.

Thanks for the help - it's great to have some input from other when you are totally stuck!

0 votes
Marc Minten _EVS_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2017

I do more or less the same things. Two remarks:

(1) is your Post Function placed before the "Creates the issue originally" function ?

(2) I use (I think you should, but I do not understand why it works in your "Escalate" transition) a MutableIssue  type to update the contents of issues:

import com.atlassian.jira.issue.MutableIssue
MutableIssue mutableIssue = issue
mutableIssue.setCustomFieldValue (singleGroupCf, [ group ])

Give this a try ?

Renee Aper June 2, 2017

I updated both transitions (create and escalate) 

It still works on the Escalate transition, but not on the create transition.

Here's the list of post functions on each:

CreatePostFunctions.pngEscalatePostFunctions.png

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events