Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to developed an addon both for jira cloud and server?

Michael Grosse
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 12, 2016

How do I develop an addon that is available both for sever and for cloud instances? Like Zephyr?

I cannot use Atlassian Connect, because it works only for the cloud and not for JIRA server.

I cannot use a common JIRA server addon, because it cannot be installed in the cloud.

So how am I supposed to develop an addon both for the JIRA cloud and JIRA server? Is there somewhere a documentation page that explains this?

3 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

8 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2016

You can't.  When you see offerings for Cloud and Server, there's one of three things happening:

1. It's not an add-on that is installed in JIRA, but something that works from the outside.
  2. There are two separate add-ons.  A "type-2" add-on (for Server), and a Connect add-on.
  3. It's a type-2 add-on that Atlassian have chosen to offer to Cloud customers.

Connect and type-2 add-ons are fundamentally different.  Although you can share some of the core code for them in some ways, the framework you have to implement them in is totally different.

Travis Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2016

Most of the documentation refers to what you call "type-2" as "Plugins 2" (as in Plugins System Version 2). Searching for type-2 will likely just lead you to the wrong content or diabetes content elsewhere.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2016

Yes, sorry, I've spent too long hanging around with developers recently.

Like Roman Nagibov likes this
Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 12, 2016

It's also important to note that, with point 3, we have not accepted any new vendor written Plugins 2 addons into our Cloud offering for a long time and that is not likely to change any time soon. Also, Atlassian Connect will not be getting Server support: https://developer.atlassian.com/static/connect/docs/latest/resources/connect-for-server.html

4 votes
Ralph Whitbeck
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 12, 2016

The frameworks for developing discrete binary add-ons for our Server software, and developing multi-tenant cloud-based add-ons for our SaaS products are fundamentally different. This means there is no path to developing only one add-on for both, and is why you won't find documentation on our site. 

That said, at AtlasCamp last year @Patrick Streule gave a talk called "Connect everywhere - Cloud and Server" where he talks about techniques to architecting your add-on so that most of your code can be used for both Connect and P2. 

You can see that talk here: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybhmYq9QOxY&index=23&list=PLaD4FvsFdarQsi3IUT9btuRPXukhkmC43

Additionally, we have a guest blog post from a vendor we're finalizing that will be published on http://developer.atlassian.com/blog and that talks about this topic as well. Keep an eye on the blog for that.

Adam Wride
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2017
2 votes
Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2017

Please check Cloud and Server Atlassian Common Code. It goes with sources and demonstrates approach for creating common Atlassian Cloud and Server plugins. The beauty of the apporach is that booth JavaScript and Java sources are shared.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events