Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create multiple issues, each with multiple subtasks using addon-com.codebarrel.addons.automation

Dominic Giroux March 18, 2017

We have a deceivingly "simple" request from our users (terminate an employee) that needs to automatically generate issues and subtasks that capture the full complexity: multiple teams are involved, each have their own service desk, and I would like to automatically create an issue for each team in their project, each with a series of critical subtasks that must be specifically tracked.

Automation for JIRA looks like it can do the trick (and more) but I have one question: is there a way to create subtasks on created issues from the main rule?  

• I can create subtasks on the trigger issue.  
  • I can create additional issues in the secondary projects.  

But right now, it looks like the only way to create subtasks on the created issues would be to have additional rules in those projects, and that may get a bit confusing in the long run for maintenance.  I would prefer to create all issues, all subtasks, from the main rule, so just checking if this is supported before I go down the other path...

2 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Haddon Fisher June 13, 2018

This is definitely possible using ScriptRunner - we have a similar use-case in that when an "initiative" in a specific project moves out of grooming, a script hanging off of the transition generates "response" tickets in ~40 projects. We're running JIRA Server though, so if you're on Cloud this may not be possible.

It _looks_ like this is possible also using Automation, but you would need a separate "then" action for each project and subtask - I obviously defer to wisdom from someone from CodeBarrel, but it doesn't seem possible to do a multi-select in the 'create issue' action, nor loop over a group of instructions.

0 votes
mina
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 19, 2017

sounds like a question for codebarrel smile

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events