Update on Atlassian cloud data residency - July 2022

43 comments

Filiberto Selvas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 15, 2022

Hello @Barbara Gabriel and @Michael Ziegler , 

Barbara:  we have finished rolling out Self Service to all Cloud Enterprise and Premium Customers with migrations that fit in maintenance windows, we are starting with Standard customers in a couple weeks.  What is your Plan? 

Michael: the scope for products & data set is explained in this page: https://support.atlassian.com/security-and-access-policies/docs/understand-data-residency/.  Be Ware EU = Frankfurt and/or Dublin, Ireland. We do intend to release Germany (Frankfurt) only, but that is currently planned for Q1-Q2 Calendar year 2023 per: https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/cloud?category=dataManagement& 

Michael Ziegler September 20, 2022

@Filiberto Selvas 

now i am confused ... please give me a clear answer = yes or no.

when we want to migrate to atlassian cloud NOW, are we able to use EU data residency?

i dont care if i can manage this by myself or through the support team

thx

Filiberto Selvas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 20, 2022

Hi @Michael Ziegler , sorry for the confusion.  The short answer is Yes

Please ensure you reach out to support and open a ticket to indicate that you are migrating, this will help to ensure you are supported in configuring data residency.  Sequence should be: Cloud Instance Creation - Configure Data Residency - Migrate Data 

Like Michael Ziegler likes this
Michael Ziegler September 20, 2022

Hello @Filiberto Selvas !

thank you ... 

i have an addional question ... regarding BYOK.

i found in your Roadmap that this will be available soon BUT unfortunatey only for enterprise customers

is there a plan from atlassian to bring BYOK eventually available for standard customers without upgrading to enterpise-plan?

thx michael

Michael Ziegler September 21, 2022

and once more a question with regards Atlassian Access:

Will there be any chance in data residency for Atlassian Access?

Or will it for every stay the Data only in USA?

Filiberto Selvas
Atlassian Team
September 21, 2022

Hi @Michael Ziegler , I have asked the product manager for BYOK to help me address your question. Please stay tuned 

Bhavya Nag
Atlassian Team
September 21, 2022

Hi @Michael Ziegler , Confirming that BYOK will only be available to Enterprise-plan customers. At this time, there is no plan to introduce it to the Standard or Premium plans.

Michael Ziegler September 21, 2022

@Bhavya Nagbe afraid that this could be a show stopper :-(
(topic: BYOK only for Enterpise-plan and NO individual pricing possibility

Selva November 11, 2022

We are working with singapore government for ITSM project using Atlassain cloud after confirming with solution partner for data residency at singapore but now it looks not feasible due to this we are in critical situation . I understand from above comments manual support is available in this scenario. kindly confirm.

Filiberto Selvas
Atlassian Team
November 11, 2022

Hello @Selva ,

As of today we offer Data Residency for EU, US, Australia and Germany.  Self service and manual support. 

Filiberto Selvas
Atlassian Team
November 16, 2022

@Michael Ziegler , apologies for the late reply.  Access is a meta - product, meaning it manages data & capabilities for Jira, Confluence and other products - not storing data itself. In brief, it follows the Data Residency of the underlying products.  

Sander Huijssen January 9, 2023

We are in the process of migrating to the cloud. Planning is to migrate end of the month.
In my instance I see that I can request a move for Confluence, but not for Jira. We really need our data in Europe. What is the process here?

Filiberto Selvas
Atlassian Team
January 9, 2023

Hello @Sander Huijssen , 

Because of what you write you are migrating from on premise to Cloud Atlassian, please make sure you are configuring Data Residency for your Cloud products prior to the migration of the on premise data.   A new Jira Software instance, with not a lot of data, should present you the option for Data Residency configuration, this is available for all paid plans of Jira Software. if you don't see it please reach out to our customer support services team to open a ticket. 

Hi @Filiberto Selvas ,

We discussed it internally, and yes, we will first configure data residency, and migrate after that. How much data is "not a lot of data"?

Filiberto Selvas
Atlassian Team
January 9, 2023

@Sander Huijssen ,  unfortunately there is no straight answer to "what is a lot of data" question.  We have an process that evaluates your db at the time you enter the admin pages, it takes into account all aspects of your data set. If it determines your Data Residency process is above a certain threshold of time - couple hours - doesn't not present you the option.  

Maybe this is a test instance to which you have already migrated a lot of data from your on premise one? 

@Filiberto Selvas Yes, we have done a test migration to this instance, holding somewhat 50GB of data and 60k tickets.

But anyway, if we fix our Data Residency first, we will not have this issue as I understand.

Filiberto Selvas
Atlassian Team
January 9, 2023

Correct @Sander Huijssen , that should be the behavior. If you configure Data Residency prior to the final migration it should be fine.  (maybe you have a lot of attachments as well?  The numbers you wrote are not that high) 

@Filiberto Selvas it is 50GB of attachments. Migration took 4 to 5 hours.

Like Filiberto Selvas likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events