Zephyr for Jira test cases appear in the agile backlog

cwsitservices November 27, 2013

Hi guys,

I have just started to use Zephyr for Jira as it lends itself very well to the agile approach we are using Jira for.

I have created my test cases and linked them back to the agile items very easily, giving me complete traceability through the project lifecycle. However, these test items are appearing in the backlog/ agile board ~ is there a way for these test items not to show in/ on the board?

I'm not sure if this would be a workflow issue and will have to set one up specifically for the test items?

Any help with being able to remove these test items from appearing in the backlog/ board would be good.

5 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
cwsitservices December 2, 2013

Thanks for coming back to me Edger.

I managed to resolve this issue in the end and have kept meaning to post my findings. Firstly, if using Zephyr for Jira I would recommend you do the following two things first:

- Create a test workflow and remove "Test" from the default project workflow

- Insert a check against the Zephyr for Jira configuration item "Display workflow toolbar for Issues of type "Test""

Once you have done this, you are then able to close and transition test cases through different states. If you leave it as default setup/ configuration then you are unable to transition or close any Test Conditions/ Cases.

By removing the Test items from the default workflow, they no longer appear in the agile board and automatically go into the backlog.....which was the main issue being faced ~ so this is now resolved by adding my own test workflow.

Another thing i have found useful is to create a new Status of 'Out Of Scope' within the workflows, along with the Step and Execution status.

I am now in a good position to be able to handle and correctly report on my test status.

However, one thing I would like to find out how to change......Once you create a new test, you link it to the work item (new feature etc) within the Jira board along with then associating it to a test cycle which shows a nice view within the Test Cycles overview section..

When it comes to execution, selecting execute asks you to either execute Ad Hoc test or associate to a test run (which I have already done so). However, on the flip side, we have initially found this useful for reporting purposes. So, item A was planned for Sprint 1 however for whatever reason wasn't executed in sprint 4. With being asked to add the test cycle when being executed gives you a good trace through the cycle of when the test was actually executed against planned.

Josette Rigsby August 18, 2014

What do you mean by

" Insert a check against the Zephyr for Jira configuration item "Display workflow toolbar for Issues of type "Test"

Where would this check take place?

Daniel Ahern October 7, 2015

Its part of the Plugin Administration Page.

6 votes
Andreas Nordgren May 26, 2014

I excluded them from the backlog by editing the board filter according to:

project = "<YOUR_PROJECT_NAME>" AND issuetype not in (Test) ORDER BY Rank ASC

Edgar Ortiz March 23, 2016

This was the easiest, quickest, and cleanest solution for our project.

Francis Peña Rosas December 2, 2016

Excellent solution! Thank you

Yefim Bezman January 31, 2017

Perfect solution!!!!! Thank you!!!

Cool Cruz May 7, 2019

This is the perfect solution, this works!  (but you need admin role to perform)

1 vote
chris Shute February 18, 2014

Hi Mary

I basically created a new test workflow which contained the following states:

To Do > In Progress > On hold > Closed > Out of Scope

Between these states you will need to add the transitional flows which will move the item between the various states (following the normal Jira workflow process). So from "To Do" I added a transition of 'Test item being executed' which would then move the ticket into the "In Progress" state. From here I added a return path back to "To Do" if required, but then had a transition of 'Test Passed' (mapped to the ticket close screen) which would move it into the 'Closed' state.

I also added the 'Out Of Scope' transition and status into the workflow by creating my own custom status when setting the workflow up. The 'Out of Scope' status/ transition is then setup so items in either 'To Do' or 'In Progress' can be moved into the OOS state.

I then added a status of 'On Hold' which is being used for any item that's either being blocked or is waiting further investigation for any reason (I.e. unable to be tested due to X issue)

0 votes
chris Shute February 18, 2014

Hi Mary

I basically created a new test workflow which contained the following states:

To Do > In Progress > On hold > Closed > Out of Scope

Between these states you will need to add the transitional flows which will move the item between the various states (following the normal Jira workflow process). So from"To Do" I added a transition of 'Test item being executed' which would then move the ticket into the "In Progress" state. From here I added a return path back to "To Do" if required, but then had a transition of 'Test Passed' (mapped to the ticket close screen) which would move it into the 'Closed' state.

I also added the 'Out Of Scope' transition and status into the workflow by creating my own custom status when setting the workflow up. The 'Out of Scope' status/ transition is then setup so items in either 'To Do' or 'In Progress' can be moved into the OOS state.

I then added a status of 'On Hold' which is being used for any item that's either being blocked or is waiting further investigation for any reason (I.e. unable to be tested due to X issue)

0 votes
Edgar Lugo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2013

Hi Chris,

Since you are using JIRA Agile, you can always use filters to remove issue type test from appearing in the backlog/board.

- By using a saved filter, you can select what issue types to be shown in the board. You can always edit this if needed. Note: It can only be edited by the owner of the JIRA filter. After creation, you cannot change the board type.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Creating+a+Board

- You can also close your testcases which will remove the testcase from the board.

Kind Regards,

Edgar

Mary Bennett February 17, 2014

How do you get Close into your Zephry for Jira testcase workflow?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events