Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why my Kanban board show subtasks of issues not in scope/filter?

Pablo Osorio da Silva June 18, 2019

Background

As an Agile Coach, I want to see separate issues on separate board, so that each team can focus on their scope. AC: Not pay additional plug-ins

Details:
I have different teams, with different Kanban boards, and 1 Scrum board on the same project. There are stories and sub-tasks, and goal would be that each one would see only their own issues (board and backlog). There is a custom field "SW Team" which is filled during plannings and backlog refinements with one of the team names, and until now I came out with 2 approaches to filter this:

1. JQL: project = sw AND "sw team" = ABC...
    1. I can't see sub-tasks, as people forget to populate that field, while their manage work on issues
  2. JQL: project = sw AND ("sw team" = ABC OR "Sw Team" is EMPTY) ....
    1. I'm getting sub-tasks of stories that are not on my board, as they have their sw team = Other_team while its sub-tasks keep it EMPTY.

Why does sub-tasks of issues not in filter appear on this board? Sub-tasks should be with their mama&papas, and not running along far from them! :)

Seriously, I accept that they may appear (its a issue as any other and comply with filter), but there should be a JQL options to filter this out.  And please... don't suggest me plugins that will cost me almost as much as JIRA itself.

Agile Board - JIRA.png

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2019

Hi Pablo,

With no third party plugins, I'd suggest setting Sw Team as a required field for sub-tasks.

If you're on a Jira Cloud instance, then a convenient post-function would be at your disposal: Copy field value from parent issue. You may use that function to automatically copy the Sw Team value on sub-task creation, by adding it to the Create transition in the sub-task's workflow (diagram mode).

If you're on a Jira Server instance, maybe you already count with a third party addon that can help us, as there are so many that could be useful here...

Pablo Osorio da Silva June 19, 2019

Thanks Ignacio. 

I'm using Jira Cloud and got to add an post-function using option Copy Value From Other Field which enables you to copy field from same, parent or sub issue.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events