Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to see create sprint button (Jira)

Steven D January 29, 2020

Hi,
I'm just starting to use the Jira software.

Unfortunately when trying to start a sprint, I can't see the button in the backlog.

I've checked the permissions (as fora were suggesting), I guess my permissions are set correctly - being admin for this project.

I also don't manage to show the story points visible in the feature row.

Any help is much appreciated!

2 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2020

Hi @Steven D ,

The sprint permission is usually limited to the following two configurations.

1.Project permission scheme

2. Turn on parallel sprints

By the way, are you using the cloud or local server? If you can upload a screenshot, it will help us analyze the issue.

Hi,

Thanks for your reaction. Parallel sprints are turned on.

See attached for screens of permissions, all should be fine.Start_sprint.pngPermissions.png

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2020

Hi @Steven D ,

It looks like you are using the Kanban board, not the scrum board ? 

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 29, 2020

Active sprints are only available on Scrum boards. If you are using a Kanban board, see Monitoring work in a Kanban project instead.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/using-active-sprints-764478163.html

Like # people like this

Alright, this solves it all..

Thanks!

davesoft11 September 9, 2022

"Active sprints are only available on Scrum boards. "

First of all, thanks for this useful piece of information which doesn't appear to be documented anywhere!

Unfortunately, I created a Scrum Board, and still the button does not appear. Permission Helper confirms I have the permission for this project. I have tried logging out and in on various browsers. Another user on the platform can see the button to create sprints; but I cannot. He is the "project lead", but that shouldn't matter according to what I read. I tried becoming project lead, though, and it didn't help. So I'm baffled here. Any ideas??

davesoft11 September 12, 2022

Okay, I have found the solution to my situation. I already had a Scrum project, parallel sprints enabled, and all the right permissions. Still, the "Create Sprint" button was not visible on the Backlog screen.

The reason is that the documentation is very misleading. The "Create Sprint" button is at the top of the "backlog", but the "backlog" is not necessarily at the top of the "Backlog" screen. The Backlog screen puts Active sprints at the top, for which there is no "button". What follows beneath them are sprints that have not yet been started, and those will show a "Start Sprint" button.

Only when you scroll past those will you see the actual "backlog" section, which has the "Create sprint" button in the top right of its SECTION. It is NOT at the top right of the "Backlog" page.

In this case, the project manager had years of sprints that were not properly closed, and a bunch more that were not started, and so this "backlog" section was buried under pages and pages of scrolling down. This is misuse of the system, of course. But the documentation is still flawed by showing that the button would be top right of the Backlog screen.

I hope this helps someone.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Johan Soetens _Dumblefy_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2020

Hi Steven,

the button should be in the Active sprints panel.

You'll also need the Manage sprints project permission. It's very well possible that this is not available for your Administrators project role.

Hi Johan,

Thanks for getting back to me.

See screenshot for permissions and current view:Start_sprint.pngPermissions.png

davesoft11 September 9, 2022

"the button should be in the Active sprints panel."

Are you sure? All the docs say it should be in the Backlog panel. Anyway, it's not showing for me in either panel.

Like Frank Wong likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events