Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change the owner of a board when their user has been deleted from the users

jo astley December 20, 2019

An owner of a particular board has left the company and IT have completely deleted their user. As such this seems to have locked down the owner to their user and not even administrators can update this which means I cannot edit all of the board config.

Can anything be done other than creating a new board?

Thanks

3 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2020

Hello @jo astley

I think you might be able to work around the issue without having to recur to your admin. Every board a few configuration details and is driven by a filter query. You can access the board settings by click on the meatballs button on the top right of the board. There you can see:

• the filter query that drives it
  • any additional sub-filters
  • swimlane configs
  • quick filters

If you want to fix the issue on your own you can recreate the filter with your user and create a new board driven by it. Afterwards, it would be a matter of porting the custom configurations your board has.

jo astley January 10, 2020

Thank you. I did think about creating a new board but as boards are being used currently I do not really want to cause disruption. We will be making amends to our offboarding process to ensure that boards are changed before they are deactivated and subsequently deleted. Thanks

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2020

Hi @jo astley ,

On a side note...You may want to consider just deactivating the user when they leave and not deleting them. Inactive users do not affect your licensing costs, and one never knows when something may come up that required an admin to access their data.

-Scott

jo astley January 10, 2020

Thanks Scott. We are changing our offboarding to include the changing of ownership. I do think Administrators should be able to do this themselves in JIRA but se la vi. Its not about the licensing its more of a security thing as to why we delete. So that people cannot be incorrectly re-activated but thanks for the suggestion :)

Like Kerli Loopman likes this
0 votes
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2019

Hi @jo astley ,

The only way to do this is to recreate the user in Jira, make sure they are an "active" user (not disabled) and then have the site admin log in to Jira as the user and reassign the board to someone else. 

-Scott

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events