Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epics do not appear on my Kanban board

SamanthaZoe April 6, 2018

Within a project that has multiple parallel sprints and a board that shows 'all sprints', I want to show items specific to a sprint/sub project that contains two epics.

I want the swimlanes to be set to epics so that I can see the separation but also see the tasks under the stories in the swimlanes. 

I have:

• Created a new board with a filter that pulls all tickets in that project in the specific sprint (let's call it sprint 1) 
  • I set the swimlanes option to 'Epics' and no data appears. The 'open' and 'done' columns have numbers that reflect the tickets that should be shown.
  • If I change the swimlanes option to 'queries' and add the two epics I want to display, then all the stories and tasks miraculously appear on the Kanban board BUT as you cannot assign epics to subtasks, all the tasks appear at the bottom instead of under the relevant story which is confusing and unhelpful. 
  • I have done something similar for another project where I had no filter (everything active in project pulled) and set the swimlanes option to 'epics' and I can see all cards.

All I can think of is there is a double query of some kind happening that Jira doesn't like. Any ideas? 

kanban_board_epics_view.PNGkanban_board_queries_view.PNGswimlanes_queries.PNG

6 answers

Suggest an answer

11 votes
A. Mihlfried - emsCharts Account September 27, 2019

(For anyone else whose search turns up this post)

Board > Configure > Columns > Epics panel "Display epics in a panel in the backlog, and not as cards on the board."

Turn that off (move to grey X from green check)

Jan_Denny November 26, 2019

That's it! Thanks for the solution!

Deleted user December 17, 2019

Oh gosh, thank you so much

Jenny Ricciardiello January 8, 2020

Thank you!

timo.westerbarkey January 28, 2020

This doesn't Show up on my board. Still best answer for everyone with appearance of that switch button.

David Kretz February 14, 2022

Needs to be a Kanban board for the option to show up

Like Heather W likes this
3 votes
GEORGIOS VASILAS May 16, 2019

I had the same issue,

The reason was that the query did not bring the epics.

First set the query to return also the epics and then on the swim line select epics. 

0 votes
Christine Kihanya September 25, 2023

In my case, the board filter was excluding epics. Once I removed the exclusion of epics in the filter, it worked

0 votes
Matthew March 7, 2022

In my case, removing swimlanes in the Board's configuration did the trick!

0 votes
Alberto Bayona May 16, 2019

--

0 votes
Deleted user June 25, 2018

Hello,

Most common reason I have encountered for issues not appearing on a column is the statuses not being assigned to a newly created column. You can check if any columns are without any status on the 'Column' option of the configuration.

You can try out other solutions too from this documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/issues-are-not-appearing-in-boards-779159013.html

Hope that helps!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events