cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change owner of a Board in Jira

Dillon Gilkey December 5, 2018

I'm on Jira version 7.12.3

I'm an Admin within Jira as well

My question is how do I go about changing the owner of a Board? The owner of the Board is currently inactive as shown below.

Jira Board.PNG

4 answers

Suggest an answer

9 votes
Sümeye Beki September 20, 2021

Hi, it is a bit late respond but I figured it out and want to explain :) I realized that the "Owner" is not the owner of the Board. It's owner of the shared filter. It is not about Board settings, all you need to do is changing the right filter that your board is using.

To do that, 

Go to Jira Administration > System > Shared Filter then, find the filter. Click the wheel icon on the right of the filter and choose "Change Owner"

Paul Gaida April 14, 2022

Thank you! I just was searching für the possibility to change the Owner. The old one has been deactivated and I could not change the ownership. But I also thought I is the board owner.

Ifat Keren September 22, 2022

@Sümeye Beki thanks a lot!
A small question about it -

When I'm trying to search by owner, but the current owner is off board, I can not find filters or this user at all. only if i search by the filter name. make sence?

Like Sümeye Beki likes this
Sümeye Beki September 28, 2022

Hi @Ifat Keren, did you try writing the name of the ex worker and then hit the search button? Because I can search even if the off boarding situation exists. We have Active directory server by the way, if it affects the solution

Ifat Keren September 30, 2022

AFAIK we don't work with active directory so I have a feeling that the dropdown opens only on boarded people. i didn't have the chance to check this... will investigate this soon :)

Sümeye Beki October 10, 2022

Hmm OK then. Let me know if it's possible to hit the search button even the dropdown does not open. Because we can search this way. I am not able to share screenshots as we work in a private network. 

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2023

Thanks @Sümeye Beki  for the comment and @Dillon Gilkey for the post. Changing the owner of the filter worked! 

Like Sümeye Beki likes this
1 vote
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2019

Hi @Dillon Gilkey,

Were you ever able to resolve this? If not here is what I suggest...

If I remember correctly only the board's owner can give ownership to another user so if you are the site admin, temporarily reactivate the inactive user, then use the site-admin function "log in as user"  and use that person's account to open the board settings and change the owner to someone else. 

The ability to log in as another user is reserved to the site admin only, so if you don't have that security level you'll need to find out who does and ask them to do this for you.

Hope this helps, 

-Scott

0 votes
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2020

You can log in as the inactive user (as an admin, you'll need to temp reactivate the acct) and change it to someone else.

0 votes
Jason Walther December 10, 2018

Hi !

I don't know if this is possible but you could copy the board and use the copy instead.

The new owner is the person wo copies the board.

Regards,

Jason

Dillon Gilkey December 13, 2018

Hi Jason,

Even if I copy it, I still can't make another user the Owner of the Board?

- Dillon

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events