Handling "Time spent" with your team in Jira

Jason Walther December 19, 2018

Hi all !

How do you handle the process of reporting time on tickets?

The burndown diagram is only affected when someone is reporting time on a ticket.

Do you set this field to mandatory in your views, so that you always have the correct picture of your sprint?

Looking forward to see how the community is handling this process :)

Happy holidays!

Jason

1 comment

Comment

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 31, 2018

Hey Jason,

We've deployed Tempo to manage timekeeping in our issues. Additionally, I have also required that when an item is transitioning between statuses, time spent is required. This serves to remind people to log their time correctly. 

Jason Walther January 3, 2019

Hi Meg,

thanks for that!

I will definitly check out if Tempo can help us in project controling and budgeting.

I haven't heard of it before.

Thanks and happy new year!

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2019

To you as well!

Like Jason Walther likes this
Anna Trips June 10, 2022

Hey @Meg Holbrook 

I also tried to make the field time spent required when tickets are moved. I implemented it through adding a validator to transitions as suggested in this community post.

However, it is not working as expected. Even though I add an entry to time spent before transition the ticket, I get the error message "Ticket couldn't be moved. Field Time spent is required." Therefore, I was wondering if you also choose this way of making time spent required or something else. And if not, do you have suggestion how I could solve my problem?

Thank you so much and all the best,

Anna

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events