Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using advanced roadmaps to enter estimates

Darrel Jackson December 14, 2021

My team use Advanced Roadmaps with a plan configured for person-hours estimation.

When we enter the "Original Time Estimate" field in Jira's Issue View it automatically sets the Remaining Time Estimate to the value of the Original Time Estimate.

When we enter the "Estimate (h)" in Jira Advanced Roadmaps it only sets the "Remaining Time Estimate" an does not set the "Original Time Estimate".

Are we using it correctly? Can someone please explain how this works. From the looks of it initial estimates should be entered in the Jira Issue View and revised estimates should either be put in AR Estimate (h) field or Jira Issue View Remaining Time Estimate.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Eddie Meardon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 22, 2021

HI @Darrel Jackson

This is quite the doozy of a question.

While you can use either method to set the initial estimate for the issue, Jira (and Advanced Roadmaps) bases its project planning and estimation functions on the Remaining Time Estimate field: things like boards and sprint planning use this field and not the Original estimate field.

So in light of that, it makes sense that Advanced Roadmaps updates the Remaining time field as a plan in Advanced Roadmaps is meant to be a living, breathing thing that updates over the life of a project.

The original estimate field is a reference, but isn't necessary to a project. It's not necessary for project planning and if you don't want to update the Original estimate field, nothing says that you have to.

Does this help at all?

Cheers, 
Eddie

Darrel Jackson December 22, 2021

That’s a fair assessment. It would be nice to have the option though.

3 votes
Henk Smets August 2, 2023

That is a correct assumption IF you enter the original estimate in the jira ticket.

What I would like to do is enter the original estimate via AR. Because I don't need to open every ticket separately. 
It would also be nice to use the same representation of the estimate. Now it show als 2h in the ticket and as 0,25 in AR. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events