Original Estimates in Epics are converting to decimal values in Jira Plan

Mazen Hassan April 20, 2021

I put in estimates in weeks (ex. 8w) by utilizing the "Original Estimate" field in my epics.  When I view it in the Jira Plan view, I see that it gets converted to some fuzzy decimal value (ex. 0.004).  This only happens on some epics and not others within the same project.  

Your help is appreciated!!  

1 answer

1 vote
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2021

Hi @Mazen Hassan,

Welcome to the community! The estimates field in your plan is not showing the original, but the remaining estimate for your issues.

I can see from your first screenshot that your issue only has 3 minutes remaining (for whatever reason). That is what you are seeing in your plan.

Hope this helps!

Mazen Hassan April 21, 2021

Thanks Walter. Do you know how I can make the original estimates show in the plan? When I search for the field in the plan, it doesn’t appear as an option. I don’t believe that original estimates is a custom field (in case those don’t show)

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 21, 2021

Hi @Mazen Hassan,

Unfortunately it's not possible to show original estimates in plans at the moment and currently we have no plans to change this. This isn't because it wouldn't have value, but is simply a reflection of where this change is in terms of relative priority to other features on our roadmap,

Regards,

Dave

Mazen Hassan April 22, 2021

In response to Walters: “I can see from your first screenshot that your issue only has 3 minutes remaining (for whatever reason). That is what you are seeing in your plan.”

I wasn’t able to find the reason to the above. The epic was not started, I am not sure why it’s showing 3 minutes remaining. Any idea? 

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2021

Well, the remaining estimate must have been updated at some point by someone. You should be able to find an update in the history of your ticket. Something like this:

Screenshot 2021-04-22 at 11.11.20.png

But maybe even more important: you can fix this by clicking on the time tracking indicator where we initially saw the cause of the problem.

A small dialog should pop up and there you can correct the remaining estimate to what it should actually be (update time remaining):

Screenshot 2021-04-22 at 11.06.16.png

Like Dave likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events