MVI

Breeze August 18, 2021

My organization is trying to get multiple teams into Scrum. One of our missions is to standardize terminology. I am seeing MVI broken out as minimum value increment vice minimum valuable increment. I have always been told it is the second of the two. Which one is correct. I am not looking for opinions or "this is what we always do," I am looking for references on the term.

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2021

Hi @Breeze -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I expect that even "references" are going to be "opinions" on this topic.  :^)

As you note using the scrum framework, please consider looking at The Scrum Guide for this idea: https://scrumguides.org/scrum-guide.html#increment

Best regards,
Bill

Breeze August 18, 2021

Hi, Bill,

Thank you for responding. The scrum guide does not touch on MVIs, unfortunately. Maria

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2021

Hi!  Yup, and perhaps they were implying "minimum" for that.  (Again, an opinion.  :^)

For other references specifically on MVP/MVI, please check in books from: Ron Jeffries, Jeff Patton, Marty Cagan, Mike Cohn, Alistair Cockburn, Mary and Tom Poppendieck.

Whatever you discover, you may find it helpful to gather people on teams and ask "what do we mean by MVI", use that as a starting point, and refine as you improve.

Good luck on aligning the understandings with the teams.

__Bill

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events