Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Link epics from different projects to an innitiative

Sorry all, but this might have been a question before. We have different project in our company with each it's own epics. If we create initiatives can you link different epics from different project to an initiative. 

Would you then create a project for initiatives and then link the different epics to one of those?

Thank you 

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg Community Leader Sep 14, 2022

Hi @Brendan Viljoen,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Yes, that is possible, the parent link field is not limited to only show initiative in the same project as the epic. 

Hi @Mikael Sandberg , do you have to create an project for initiatives or do they live outside of projects?

Mikael Sandberg Community Leader Sep 14, 2022

They have to live within a project just like any other issue types. If you have not already created the initiative issue type you have to do that first, then add the type to the issue type screen used by the project. Once that is done you have to update the issue hierarchy in Advanced Roadmaps. You can do that if you go to Settings > Product. Once that is done, just add the Parent Link field to the screen used by epics and you can start linking it to its parent.

For a detailed instruction, check out this KB.

hello,

here is my use case:

I use initiatives to represent a project in my project portfolio. Initiatives can be created into my project portfolio Jira Project, or into the various team's Jira project.

The initiative is just an evelope to show the state of the project. The actual work is managed in Epics, from the team's Jira project tasks. This allows me to report on any project (initiatve), and let the teams work on their Epic freely.

With Automation, I can even manage to have roll-up information from the epics and issues to the initiative level. This allows me to know the project (initiative) is composed of x tasks (y done, z in progress)... 

Vincent

HI, can you view initiatives on a roadmap?

hello, 

not in the standard Roadmap of the project

but yes in advanced roadmap

vincent

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Online AMA this week: Your project management questions answered by Jira Design Lead James Rotanson

We know that great teams require amazing project management chops. It's no surprise that great teams who use Jira have strong project managers, effective workflows, and secrets that bring planning ...

184 views 1 6
Read article

Atlassian Community Events