Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Advanced Roadmaps Issues and Sprints

ali.alavi August 6, 2020

First of all I can't get any sales person to call me back from Atlassian re our switch from Aha! to Advanced Roadmaps, for a 1000 person user base. 

2nd, when I schedule sprint in my projects they do not show up in my plan. They are in a field that says sprint is external. 

How do I create a sprint within the plan so that when I'm doing capacity planning and have my view in Teams and Show Capacity mode I can see my current, or future sprints. If I create a sprint in a project i have no control over it in the plan.

Also the dependency flags are not turning red when lead days are negative, why is that?

4 answers

2 votes
Maxime Sraiki August 9, 2021

I had the same issue here are my steps to make it work based on Earl's first answer (upvoted):

• The sprints from your board are actually only understood as sprints if the data source is a "Board" instead of a "Project".
  • The sprints are visible only if you group your issues by "Team"
  • For your board sprints to be linked to the team sprints, you also need to setup the issues source of your team to the board you selected into the plan data source.

Once all of these steps were done, my sprints were showing correctly (and linked for further modifications)

Also keep in mind the project board you are linking has to be a "Scrum" and the teams should be "Scrum" teams

1 vote
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 7, 2020

Hello @ali.alavi ,

Atlassian Does not have a traditional sales department, so there is not a sales line to call as we publish all the pricing information in a self serve manner online, so we do not have a process for packaging catered solutions to businesses, its just one flat rate.  Any contact you need for billing an licensing issues is done through the contact details listed below.  All the details can be seen in:

NOTING:

A Unique Purchasing Model

Atlassian is different from most companies when it comes to how we sell on-premise and Cloud software. Our goal is to build incredible, affordable tools that people can try before buying. To do this, we rely on a slightly different sales model. Here's what makes Atlassian different:

We're here to help at any time, so please contact us.

And alternative when it comes to support for the product this is achieved bu contacting us via the support portal https://support.atlassian.com with a valid maintenance agreement or you can reach out here to the community to ask other Atlassian users, Community Leaders, Product vendors and Atlassian staff for help if you are on a paid or free plan, detailed here:

For your second question about the external sprints, this occurs when using either projects or a filter as issue sources rather than a board as the issue source on a plan or when a issue is moved from one project or board to another after it was in a sprint that is not tied to the current project or board it is in now.  Details can be seen in "Scheduling issues"  Noting:

When using projects or filters as issue sources

If a plan is using projects or filters as issue sources, sprint data will still be displayed for the corresponding issues.

However, since sprint data can only be directly associated with boards, then the sprints will be displaying the  lozenge right next to them. The lozenge is used to indicate that these are external sprints, and are not directly associated with the project and filter issue sources.

Next for creating the sprints, this is done from the Agile board on the  project side and there is not an option to create a new sprint from the plan directly.  A really good detailed breakdown of how sprints work within the plans can be seen in:

Next for the dependency not turning red, there are two scenarios that may be occuring discussed in this Document:

The details are covered in the Table in the section "Impact of dependency scheduling settings"  for Sequential or concurrent noting:

Sequential
  • The dependent issues will be auto-scheduled into Sprint 1 and Sprint 2. The number badges will not turn red.
  • If you manually assign the issues to the same sprint, the number badges will turn red. This is because the dependent issues must be scheduled into different sprints.
Concurrent
  • The dependent issues will be auto-scheduled into the same sprint, Sprint 1. The number badges will not turn red.
  • If you manually assign the issues to Sprint 1, the number badges will still not turn red. This is because dependent issues can be scheduled and worked on in the same sprint.

Hope this helps

Regards,
Earl

ali.alavi August 12, 2020

Hi Earl. 

Thanks for the lengthy response. None of this actually helps.

First fo all, we have a licensing agreement and pay a large amount of money to Atlassian. For some reason I'm only given the option of asking the community for help when logged in. We have Premium and I don't seems to have an option of submitting a ticket.

Next, we had your own sales guy reach out to us over and over again. When we finally decided to try Advanced roadmaps, not with any help from him, he simply stopped responding to questions from our company. Divya Rosenberg.

I'm also fully aware of how sprints work and where they get scheduled. I've been a product manager for 16 years, and have used your tools from the early days. This component of advanced roadmaps is just not working as described in your documentation. 

I had already read through all of the documentation before I made this post. I don't see any new information I don't already know about. However, the application does not behave as described in your documentation. 

So basically this information does nothing to help resolve the outstanding issues before I have to demo this tool the the company tonight. 

We are about to possible spend more than $20k with your company and I have to resort to forum for help. It's pretty sad.

Thanks,

Ali

0 votes
Jenn Sherman March 29, 2021

I also had the issue of sprints not showing on the timeline.  I had forgotten to change the view settings to group by team.

0 votes
Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 9, 2020

Hi @ali.alavi ,

Check the 3d video on this page for how to get started with capacity planning.

Cheers,

ali.alavi August 12, 2020

Hi Roi,

Unfortunately watching your videos is not helping either. This is all seems very simple and straight forward. However, Advanced Roadmaps is not performing as described/demonstrated in your videos or documentation. Sprints in projects do not show up in on my plan. No capacity is placed into active, current, or future sprints. As matter of fact only projected sprints are shown when looking in teams view with capacity view is enabled. Projected sprints do not take on any capacity when scheduling issues. 

If the tool worked as described I would be okay, but for some reason it does not. 

Thanks,

Ali

Helen Xina January 9, 2021

Same issue here, can't figure out how to create a sprint inside advanced roadmaps, it's all just 'projected sprint'. When trying to update via bulk actions it won't allow me to create new, and the selection list doesn't work. 

Manisha Bishop January 15, 2021

I had this same problem and figured it out just now based on Earl's answer above.

I went to the "Teams" tab, then go to the Edit option for the team you want to do capacity planning for. Under the "Associated Issue Source", it needs to reference the Scrum Board that the sprints are in. It will not work if the issue source is a Project or a Filter. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events