Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to change the default date fields (start date, due date) for advanced roadmaps?

Hayley Young September 1, 2020

Jira advanced roadmaps defaults to start date and due date, but we use a custom field to track the end date for issues. No matter how much education I do, teams won't always remember to update this when they first create their roadmaps - they simply dive right in.

• Is there a way to update the default dates used?
  • Alternatively, is there a way to hide the due date field so it's not an option? It's not present on the screens, so even when they set a due date in the roadmap view it doesn't reflect anywhere on the issue.

Any help would be appreciated. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2020

Hi Hayley:

You should be able to define the  start date/end date fields in your plan via plan's configuration in the scheduling option.  Due Date field is a field/column that you can expose/hide to your plan as needed.  If you set the Due Date value in your issues within your plan, you will need to commit the changes back to Jira (otherwise, it is local to your plan only).

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Apps

Viasat Inc.

Hayley Young September 1, 2020

Thanks! I'm aware of how to add the custom fields and update the date fields under the plan settings, but my challenge is that teams often forget to do this. They build a plan and start adding start and due dates when they should be using a custom end date.

Any way to adjust the default dates that the plan uses upon creation? 

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2020

Currently, we didn't find anything to default the values.  I would recommend that you submit an enhancement request with Atlassian.

Best, Joseph

Patricia Lora May 26, 2023

I would love to have this feature - has there been any movement to make setting a start date or duration as a default when creating an epic and/or a task? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events